Stanley Hauerwas Reading Room
Note: this content was originally curated by Arnold Neufeldt-Fast and is no longer being maintained. Some links may not work. Content posted for archival purposes only.
This page is designed to help make writings on and by the theologian and ethicist Stanley Hauerwas available to those without easy access to a theological library. Most links connect you to scanned, published books and articles made available by Google Books (often 75% of content). Importantly, Google Books allows you to search within a volume and also across volumes (rather than across the entire WWW).
NB: For bibliographic management and notetaking while reading, Zotero is highly recommended ("a free, easy-to-use Mozilla Firefox extension to help you collect, manage, and cite your research sources"). For page snapshots and printing of Google Book pages, try Microsoft's snipping tool (paste text into Word -- or Zotero).
The resources below complement and go beyond the other available lists such as: Hauerwas - collected online writings (typically church press), and the similar collection of links gathered on Andrew Goddard's Stanley Hauerwas Page.
Books by Stanley Hauerwas
- The Hauerwas Reader. John Berkman, Michael G. Cartwright, eds. Duke, 2001.
- Dispatches from the Front: Theological Engagements with the Secular. Duke, 1995.
- Wilderness Wanderings: Probing Twentieth-Century Theology and Philosophy. Revised ed. Westview, 1998.
- Naming the Silences: God, Medicine, and the Problem of Suffering. Continuum, 2004 (and copy).
- (with William H. Willimon). Preaching to Strangers: Evangelism in Today`s World. Westminster John Knox, 1992.
- (with John Swinton, ed.). Critical Reflections on Stanley Hauerwas` Theology of Disability: Disabling Society, Enabling Theology. Haworth, 2005.
Articles by Stanley Hauerwas
- Forward (with D. Stephen Long) , in: Paul Ramsey, Basic Christian Ethics. Westminster John Knox, 1993. Pp. xiii-xxix.
- Captured in Time: Friendship and Aging (with Laura Yordy), in: Growing Old in Christ. S. Hauerwas, C. Bailey Stoneking, and K. G. Meador, eds. Eerdmans, 2003. Pp. 169-184.
- The Ethics of Population and Pollution, The Cresset, Vol. XXXIII, No. 9 (September 1970). Pp. 5.
- Problematics of a "Christian College", The Cresset, Vol. XXXIV, No. 7 (May 1971). Pp. 4.
- The Humanity of the Divine, The Cresset, Vol. XXXV, No. 8 (June 1972). Pp. 3.
Love and Marriage: A Wedding Sermon
1Cor. 13 and John 15:5-17, The Cresset, Vol. XL, No. 8 (June 1977).
- Christian Ethics in Jewish Terms: A Response to David Novak, in: Christianity in Jewish Terms. T. Frymer-Kensky et al., eds. Westview Press, 2002. Pp. 135-140 (also copy).
- Clerical Character: Reflecting on Ministerial Morality, Word and World, Vol. 6, No. 2 (1986), pp. 181-193.
- The Limits of Care: Burnout as an Ecclesial Issue (with William Willimon), Word and World, Vol. 10, No. 3 (1990), pp. 247-253.
- The Chief End of all Flesh (with John Berkman). Theology Today, Vol. 49, No. 2 (July 1992), pp. 196-208.
- On Doctrine and Ethics, in: The Cambridge Companion to Christian Doctrine. Colin E. Gunton, ed. Cambridge, 1997. Ch. 2, pp. 21-40 (see also copy).
- Christian Care of the Retarded, Theology Today, Vol. 30, No. 2 (July 1973), pp. 130-137.
- (with Mark Sherwindt). Word and World, Vol. 2, No. 2 (1982), pp. 127-136.
- Will the Real Sectarian Please Stand Up?, Theology Today, Vol. 44, No. 1 (April 1987), pp. 87-94 (also response).
- The Gesture of a Truthful Story, Theology Today, Vol. 42, No. 2 (1985), pp. 181-189.
- Knowing How to Go On When You Do Not Know Where You Are: A Response to John Cobb, Jr., Theology Today, Vol. 51, No. 4 (1995), pp. 563-569 (a response to Cobb and by Cobb).
- On Being a Christian and an American, in: Meaning and Modernity: Religion, Polity, and Self. Richard Madsen, ed. University of California Press, 2001. Ch. 13, pp. 224-235.
- Why Did Jesus Have to Die?: An Attempt to Cross the Barrier of Age. The Princeton Seminary Bulletin, Vol. 28 No. 2 (2007), pp. 181ff. (also copy).
- Abortion, Theologically Understood. Taskforce of United Methodists on Abortion and Sexuality, 1991.
- The Church and the Mentally Handicapped: A Continuing Challenge to the Imagination, in: Critical Reflections on Stanley Hauerwas` Theology of Disability: Disabling Society, Enabling Theology. S. Hauerwas and John Swinton, ed. Haworth Press, 2005. Ch. 3, pp. 53-62 (also copy).
- Pacifism: Some Philosophical Considerations (and copy), in: A Textbook of Christian Ethics. 3rd ed. Robin Gill, ed. Continuum, 2006. Ch. 18, pp. 250-255.
- Pharaoh`s Hardened Heart: Some Christian Readings. The Journal of Christian Reasoning, No. 2.2 (September 2002); see also responses.
- Why Truthfulness Requires Forgiveness: A Commencement Address for Graduates of a College of the Church of the Second Chance, in: Dispatches from the Front: Theological Engagements with the Secular. Duke, 1995, pp. 80-90 (and copy).
- Finite Care in a World of Infinite Need Samford University, June 2008. Pp. 11.
- Must a Patient be a Person to be a Patient? Or, My Uncle Charlie is not much of a Person, but he is still my Uncle Charlie, in: Critical Reflections on Stanley Hauerwas` Theology of Disability: Disabling Society, Enabling Theology. S. Hauerwas and J. Swinton, eds. Haworth Press, 2005. Ch. 6, pp. 113-120 (and copy).
- Peacemaking: the Virtue of the Church, in: Doing Right and Being Good: Catholic and Protestant Readings in Christian Ethics. D.O. Ahearn, P.R. Gathje, eds. Liturgical Press, 2005. Ch. 5, pp. 25-32.
- Dietrich Bonhoeffer on Truth and Politics. Reflections: Center for Theological Inquiry, Vol. 6 (2002); also video lecture, and interview with Homiletics Online).
- Dietrich Bonhoeffer`s Political Theology, Conrad Grebel Review, Vol. 20, No. 3 (2002), pp. 17-39 (and responses).
- The Moral Authority of Scripture, in: From Christ to the World: Introductory Readings in Christian Ethics. W.G. Boulton, T.D. Kennedy, A. Verhey, eds. Eerdmans, 1994. Ch. 7, pp. 33-50.
- A Christian Response to Violence, in: In the Aftermath: What September 11 is Teaching Us about Our World, Our Faith & Ourselves. James Taylor, ed. Wood Lake, 2002. Ch. 2, pp. 35-47.
- September 11, 2001: A Pacifist Response, in: Walking with God in a Fragile World. J.R. Langford, L.S. Rouner, eds. Rowman & Littlefield, 2002. Ch. XI, pp. 121-130 (also copy).
- No Enemy, No Christianity: Theology and Preaching Between "Worlds", in: The Future of Theology: Essays in Honor of Jürgen Moltmann. M. Volf et al., eds. Eerdmans, 1996. Pp. 26-34.
- Practicing Patience: How Christians Should Be Sick (with Charles Pinchas), in On Moral Medicine: Theological Perspectives in Medical Ethics. 2nd ed. S.E. Lammers and A. Verhey, eds. Eerdmans, 1998. Ch. 50, pp. 364-372 (also copy).
- Authority and the Profession of Medicine, in: Responsibility in Health Care. George J. Agich, ed. Springer, 1982. Pp. 83-104.
- On Keeping Theological Ethics Theological, in: From Christ to the World: Introductory Readings in Christian Ethics. W.G. Boulton, T.D. Kennedy, A. Verhey, eds. Eerdmans, 1994. Ch. 23, pp. 130-144 (also copy).
- Sinsick, in: Sin, Death, and the Devil. C.E. Braaten, R.W. Jenson, eds. Eerdmans, 2000. Pp. 7-21.
- Reading Yoder Down Under, in: Faith and Freedom: Christian Ethics in a Pluralist Culture. D. Neville, P. Matthews, eds. Australian Theological Forum, 2003. Pp. 170-174.
- Salvation and Health: Why Medicine needs the Church, in: On Moral Medicine: Theological Perspectives in Medical Ethics. S.E. Lammers and A. Verhey, eds. 2nd ed. Eerdmans, 1998. Ch. 11, pp. 72-83 (also copy).
- (Interview) Stanley Hauerwas and Samuel Wells: Theological Ethics, in: God`s Advocates: Christian Thinkers in Conversation. Rupert Shortt. Eerdmans, 2005. Pp. 175-193 (also copy).
- Catholic Social Teaching (with Jana Bennett), in: The Oxford Handbook of Theological Ethics. G. Meilaender and W. Werpehowski, eds. Oxford, 2005. Ch. 30, pp. 520-537 (also copy).
- Pro Ecclesia, Pro Texana: Schooling the Heart in the Heart of Texas, in: The Schooled Heart: Moral Formation in American Higher Education. M.D. Beaty and D.V. Henry, eds. Baylor, 2007. Ch. 4, pp. 103-114 (see also copy; video lecture).
- Confessions of a Mennonite Camp Follower, Mennonite Quarterly Reviews, Vol. LXXIV, No. 4 (October 2000).
- Christological Pacifism (n.d). Pp. 2.
- Lecture on America, Milan, Italy, February 19, 2008. Pp. 12.
- Suffering the Retarded: Should we Prevent Retardation?, in: Critical Reflections on Stanley Hauerwas` Theology of Disability: Disabling Society, Enabling Theology. S. Hauerwas and J. Swinton, eds. Haworth Press, 2005, ch. 5, pp. 87-106 (and copy).
- Seeing Darkness, Hearing Silence: Augustine`s Account of Evil, in: Naming Evil, Judging Evil. Ruth W. Grant, ed. University of Chicago, 2006. Ch. 2, pp. 35-54.
- Democratic Time: Lessons Learned from Yoder and Wolin, Cross Currents, Vol. 55, No. 4 (Winter 2005-06).
- The Community Story of Israel and Jesus, in: Scripture and Ethics: Twentieth-century Portraits. Jeffrey S. Siker, ed. Oxford, 1997. Ch. 6, pp. 97-125.
- The End of Religious Pluralism: A Tribute to David Burrell, in: Democracy and the New Religious Pluralism. T.F. Banchoff, ed. Oxford, 2007. Pp. 283-301.
- (with Charles Pinches). Virtue Christianity Considered. In: M. Beaty, et al., eds. Christian Theism and Moral Philosophy. Mercer, 1998. Pp. 286-304.
- Epilogue: A Pacifist`s Response to the Bishops, in: Paul Ramsey, Speak Up for Just War Or Pacifism: A Critique of the United Methodist Bishops` Pastoral Letter "In Defence of Creation". Penn State Press, 1988. Pp. 149-182.
- Worship, Evangelism, Ethics: On Eliminating the "And", in: The Study of Evangelism: Exploring a Missional Practice of the Church. P.W. Chilcote, L.C. Warner, eds. Eerdmans, 2008. Ch. 14, pp. 205-214.
- Response: Where would I be without Friends?, in: Faithfulness and Fortitude: Conversations with the Theological Ethics of Stanley Hauerwas. Mark Nation, Samuel Wells, eds. Continuum, 2000. Ch. 14, pp. 313-332.
- “Theology and the New American Culture: A Problematic Relationship,” The Review of Politics 34, no. 4 (1972): 71–90.
- (with J. Alexander Sider) “The Distinctiveness of Christian Ethics: Review of John Colwell, Living the Christian Story, 2001,” International Journal of Systematic Theology 5 (2003): 225-233.
- "Inherent Rights, Disability and the Justice of God," ABC Religion and Ethics, May 30, 2011.
- See the large collection of other (more popular) articles by Hauerwas on the WWW: Hauerwas: Collected Online Articles, Interviews and Resources, and the similar collection of links gathered on Andrew Goddard's Stanley Hauerwas Page.
Hauerwas: Podcasts, YouTube, Other
- Hauerwas on Theology: Medicine, Death, and the Christian Community. 2003 Emergent Convention.
- Dietrich Bonhoeffer on Truth and Politics. Burke Lectures, February, 2008 (YouTube; 59 minutes; also text).
- Dietrich Bonhoeffer On Lying - Reflections on America. Calvin College, Jan. 2003 (Audio lecture, 61 minutes; requires RealAudio player)
- On Ending Religious Pluralism. Boston College, February 2006 (59 minutes).
- "'Duke University Office Hours' with Stanley Hauerwas on the Life of a Theologian," May 7, 2010 (YouTube; 58:48)
- Hauerwas on Voting; n.d.
- Jesus Radicals Iconocast interview with Hauerwas. October, 2010.
- "Religious Speech in Public Discourse,"(Duke University Video; 4:44)
- On His Evangelicals Audience (YouTube; 3 min, 13 sec)
- What Only the Church Can Do (YouTube; 9 min, 57 sec)
- On Jürgen Moltmann (YouTube; 3:09)
- On Reinhold Niebuhr (YouTube; 1:20)
- On Prayer (YouTube, 2:02)
- On Alzheimer's (YouTube, 2:02)
Books on Stanley Hauerwas
- Getz, Andrew. The Role of Christian Faith in Public Moral Discourse: A Comparison of Selected Works from H. Tristram Engelhardt, Jr., Stanley Hauerwas, and Richard A. McCormick. Ph.D. thesis, Duquesne University, 2005.
- Gong, Liren. Christian Discipleship Today: A Study of the Ethics of the Kingdom in the Theologies of Stanley Hauerwas and Jon Sobrino. Ph.D. thesis, University of Glasgow, 1994 (free download; registration with British Library required; EThOS persistent ID: uk.bl.ethos.388188).
- Nation, Mark and Samuel Wells, eds. Faithfulness and Fortitude: Conversations with the Theological Ethics of Stanley Hauerwas. Continuum, 2000.
- Rommel, Birgit. Ekklesiologie und Ethik bei Stanley Hauerwas: Von der Bedeutung der Kirche für die Rede von Gott. LIT Verlag, 2003.
- Smith, R. Scott. Virtue Ethics and Moral Knowledge: Philosophy of Language After MacIntyre and Hauerwas. Ashgate, 2003.
- Swinton, John, ed. Critical Reflections on Stanley Hauerwas` Theology of Disability: Disabling Society, Enabling Theology. Haworth, 2005 (primary and secondary materials).
- Thomson, John B. The Ecclesiology of Stanley Hauerwas: A Christian Theology of Liberation. Ashgate, 2003. Also: The Ecclesiology of Stanley Hauerwas as a Distinctively Christian Theology of Liberation (1970-2000). Ph.D. thesis, University of Nottingham, 2001 (free download; registration with British Library required; EThOS persistent ID: uk.bl.ethos.364394).
- Wells, Samuel M. B. How the Church Performs Jesus' Story: Improvising on the Theological Ethics of Stanley Hauerwas. Ph.D. thesis, University of Durham, 1995 (free download; registration with British Library required; EThOS persistent ID: uk.bl.ethos.296209).
Articles, Chapters on Stanley Hauerwas
- Bain-Selbo, Eric. Democracy and Tradition: Finding Common Ground Between Hauerwas’ Traditionalism and Rorty’s Liberalism, Journal of Religion & Society, Vol. 7 (2005). Pp. 8.
- Doak, Mary. A Narrative Theological Ethics: Stanley Hauerwas, in: Reclaiming Narrative for Public Theology. SUNY, 2004. Pp. 126-144.
- Doerksen, Paul. The Church is an Ethic: Ecclesiology and Social Ethics in the Theological Ethics of Stanley Hauerwas. MTS Thesis, Conrad Grebel University College, Waterloo, ON, 1999 (pdf).
- Fergusson, David. Ecclesial Ethics: Stanley Hauerwas, in: Community, Liberalism, and Christian Ethics. Cambridge, 1998. Ch. 3, pp. 48-79.
Gay, Douglas C. "The Epistemological, Ethical and Political Priority of the Church: The Post-Christendom Ecclesiology of Stanley Hauerwas," A Practical Theology of Church and World:
Ecclesiology and Social Vision in 20th Century Scotland. Ph.D. Thesis, University of Edinburgh, 2006. Ch. 1, pp. 8-60 (pdf.).
- Gunton, Colin E. The Church as a School of Virtue? Human Formation in Trinitarian Framework (written for Hauerwas Festschrift), in: Intellect and Action: Elucidations on Christian Theology and the Life of Faith. Continuum, 2005. Ch. 6, pp. 101-120.
- Hays, Richard B. Stanley Hauerwas: Character Shaped by Tradition, in: Moral Vision of the New Testament: Community, Cross, New Creation: a Contemporary Introduction to New Testament Ethics. Continuum, 1997. Pp. 253-266.
- Horrell, David. "Stanley Hauerwas's Ecclesial Ethics," Solidarity an Difference: A Contemporary Reading of Paul's Ethics. Continuum, 2005. Pp. 63-82.
- Logan, J.S. Mining Stanley Hauerwas: Foundations for a Christian Social Ethics of Good Punishment, in: Good Punishment?: Christian Moral Practice and U.S. Imprisonment. Eerdmans, 2007. Ch. 4, pp. 143-174.
- Mathewes, Charles T. Appreciating Hauerwas: One Hand Clapping, in: Anglican Theological Review, Spring 2000.
- McKenny, Gerald P. Medicine and the Reconciling Community [Hauerwas], in: To Relieve the Human Condition: Bioethics, Technology, and the Body. SUNY, 1997. Ch. 6, pp. 147-183.
- Pecknold, C.C. Democracy and the Politics of the Word. Stout and Hauerwas on Democracy and Scripture, Scottish Journal of Theology 59:2 (April 2006). Pp. 10.
- Reimer, A. James. Hauerwas: Why I’m a Reluctant Convert to his Theology, Conrad Grebel Review, Vol. 20, No. 3 (Fall 2002), pp. 5-16.
- Reinders, Hans. The Meaning of Sanctification: Stanley Hauerwas on Christian Identity and Moral Judgment, in: Does Religion Matter Morally? The Critical Reappraisal of the Thesis of Morality`s Independence from Religion. A. W. Musschenga, ed. Peeters, 1995. Ch. 6, pp. 141-171 (with response by A. van den Beld).
- Rudman, Stanley. A Communicative Ethic: Hauerwas and Habermas, in: Concepts of Person and Christian Ethics. Cambridge, 1997. Ch. 11, pp. 227-256.
- Ruprecht, Louis A. After Christendom? On Distorted Theological Narratives [on Hauerwas], in: Afterwords: Hellenism, Modernism, and the Myth of Decadence. SUNY, 1996. Ch. 4, pp. 127-162.
- Schlögel, Herbert. Una, sancta, apostolica...et ethica? Sozialethisch-ekkesiologische Einmischungen nach Stanley Hauerwas, in: Kirche - Moral - Spiritualität. LIT, 2001. Pp. 57-70.
- Stackhouse, Max L. In the Company of Hauerwas, Journal for Christian Theological Research. Vol. 2, No. 1 (1997).
- Stone, Ronald H. Resurgent Pacifist Attack on Realism [on Hauerwas], in: Prophetic Realism: Beyond Militarism and Pacifism in an Age of Terror. Continuum, 2005. Ch. 9, pp. 122-131.
- Stout, Jeffrey. Virtue and the Way of the World (on Hauerwas), in: Democracy and Tradition. Princeton, 2004. Ch. 6, pp. 140-161 (also copy).
- Thompson, Christopher J. Appeals to Augustine in Hauerwas and David Burrell, in: Christian Doctrine, Christian Identity: Augustine and the Narratives of Character. University Press of America, 1999. Ch. 2, pp. 37-53.
- Tubbs, James B. Stanley Hauerwas: Character, Vision and Narrative in Moral Life, in: Christian Theology and Medical Ethics: Four Contemporary Approaches. Springer, 1996. Ch. 4, pp. 96-129.
- Werpehowski, William. Politics, Creation and Conversion [on Hauerwas`s ethics], in: American Protestant Ethics and the Legacy of H. Richard Niebuhr. Georgetown University, 2002. Ch. 6, pp. 95-118.
- Wood, Laurence W. Stanley Hauerwas and Narrative Theology, in: Theology as History and Hermeneutics: A Post-critical Conversation Theology. Emeth, 2005. Pp. 158-172 (also copy).
- ... under construction (more soon)
- Theological Journals Search (theological journals for which full text is freely available on the Internet).
- See Tyndale's eJournal Database -find full-text articles on and by Stanley Hauerwas-- for Tyndale students and faculty only. (Choose EBSCOhost database; log in; choose "EBSCOhost" and then "All" databases; over 170 full-text theological journals available to you from home; for a few additional journals, go back to Tyndale Journal Database and choose the ProQuest Religion or JSTOR databases).