Jürgen Moltmann Reading Room
Note: this content was originally curated by Arnold Neufeldt-Fast and is no longer being maintained. Some links may not work. Content posted for archival purposes only.
This page is designed to help make writings on and by Jürgen Moltmann available to those without easy access to a theological library. The links connect you to audio, books, articles and dissertations made available across the web, including those "Google Books" with significant content preview - Arnold Neufeldt-Fast, PhD (studied with Prof. Moltmann in Tübingen, 1988-89)
English language bibliography of Moltmann's Work [exhaustive to 1996], Asbury Journal, 55, no. 1 (2000): 135-142.
Books by Moltmann
- Theology of Hope: On the Ground and the Implications of a Christian Eschatology. Trans. by J. W. Leitch. Fortress, 1967/1991. (Also here; original German).
- The Crucified God: The Cross of Christ as the Foundation and Criticism of Christian Theology. Trans. by R. A. Wilson, J. Bowden. Fortress, 1993 (here; also copy of Ch. 6; Tyndale ebook)
- The Church in the Power of the Spirit: A Contribution to Messianic Ecclesiology. Trans. by M. Kohl. Fortress, 1977/1993.
- The Future of Creation: Collected Essays. Fortress, 1979/2007.
- Experiences of God. Trans. by M. Kohl. Fortress, 1980.
- The Trinity and the Kingdom: The Doctrine of God. Trans. by M. Kohl. Fortress, 1981/1993 (also copy 1; pp. i-xvi, 1-100; copy 1)
- The Politics of Discipleship and Discipleship in Politics: Jürgen Moltmann in Dialogue with Mennonite Scholars. Ed. by W. Swartley. Wipf & Stock, , 2006.
- God in Creation: An Ecological Doctrine of Creation. The Gifford Lectures 1984-85. SCM, 1985/1997; also (American Title) God in Creation: A New Theology of Creation and the Spirit of God. Fortress, 1985/1993 (also excerpt, 86-93).
- The Way of Jesus Christ: Christology in Messianic Dimensions. Trans. by M. Kohl. Fortress, 1990/1993.
- The Coming of God: Christian Eschatology. Trans. M. Kohl. SCM, 1996 (copy).
- A Passion for God's Reign. Ed. by N. Wolterstorff and E. Charry. Eerdmans, 1998 (essays by Moltmann with responses).
- (Ed. by R. Bauckham) God Will Be All in All: The Eschatology of Jürgen Moltmann. Continuum, 1999 (mix of primary and secondary sources).
- God for a Secular Society: The Public Relevance of Theology. SCM, 1999.
- (with Elisabeth Moltmann-Wendel) Passion for God: Theology in Two Voices. Westminster John Knox, 2003.
- In the End, the Beginning: The Life of Hope. Trans. by M. Kohl. Fortress, 2004.
- A Broad Place: An Autobiography. SCM-Canterbury, 2007.
- Sun of Righteousness, Arise! God's Future for Humanity and Earth. Fortress, 2010.
- Ethik der Hoffnung. Gütersloher Verlagshaus, 2010.
- Der lebendige Gott und die Fülle des Lebens: Auch ein Beitrag zur gegenwärtigen Atheismusdebatte. Gütersloher Verlagshaus, 2014.
- Jürgen Moltmann: Collected Readings. Ed. by M. Kohl. Fortress, 2014 (Tyndale ebook).
Articles, Chapters by Moltmann
(see also Tyndale e-journals, 179+ pdf full-text articles)
- Hope and History, Theology Today 25, no. 3 (Oct, 1968): 369-386 (audio, The "Future as Paradigm of Transcendence," Princeton).
- Descent into Hell [Chapel Meditation], Duke Divinity School Review 33, no. 2 (1968): 115-19 (pdf).
- Hope Beyond Time [Chapel Meditation], Duke Divinity School Review 33, no. 2 (1968): 109-14 (pdf).
- The Realism of Hope: The Feast of the Resurrection and the T ransforrnation of Present Reality, Concordia Theological Monthly 40, no. 3 (1969): 149-55 (pdf).
- Political Theology, Theology Today 28, no. 1 (April 1971): 6-23.
- The Crucified God, Theology Today 31, no.1 (April 1974): 6-18.
- The Crucified God: The Cross of Christ As the Foundation and Criticism of Christian Theology. Fortress, 1974.
- A Christian Declaration of Human Rights, Reformed World 34, no. 2 (June 1976): 58-72.
- Vorwort in: John H. Yoder, Die Politik Jesu: Der Weg des Kreuzes. Agape Verlag, 1981. Pp. 5-7 (Forward to the German translation of Yoder's The Politics of Jesus ).
“Cross, Theology of the.” In: A New Dictionary of Christian
Theology, ed. Alan Richardson and John Bowden. SCM Press, 1983. Pp. 135-137.
“Hope.” In: Westminster Dictionary of Christian Theology, ed.
Alan Richardson and John Bowden. Westminster John Knox, 1983. Pp. 270-272.
- "Perseverence." In: Westminster Dictionary of Christian Theology, ed. Alan Richardson and John Bowden. Westminster John Knox, 1983. Pp. 441-442.
- “Theodicy.” In: A New Dictionary of Christian Theology, ed. Alan Richardson and John Bowden. SCM Press, 1983. Pp. 564-566.
- Teresa of Avila and Martin Luther: The turn to the mysticism of the cross, Studies in Religion/Sciences Religieuses 13 (1984): 265-278.
- The Pharisee and the Tax Collector [Sermon, 1983], in: A Chorus of Witnesses: Model Sermons for Today's Preacher. Ed. by T.G. Long and C. Plantinga. Eerdmans, 1994. Pp. 21-33.
- Theology in Germany Today, in: Observations on "The Spiritual Situation of the Age": Contemporary German Perspectives. Ed. by J. Habermas. Trans. A. Buchwalter. MIT, 1985. Pp. 181-206.
- An Interview with Jürgen Moltmann (with M. Volf [Topics: Pentecostals, Mennonites, Baptism and Marx]), in: Communities of Faith and Radical Discipleship: Luce Program on Religion and the Social Crisis. Ed. by G. McLeod Bryan. Mercer University, 1986. Pp. 3-12 (Tyndale ejournal).
- God is unselfish love, in: The Emptying God: A Buddhist-Jewish-Christian Conversation. Ed. John B. Cobb, Christopher Ives, and Masao. Orbis Books, 1990. Ch. 5.
- Israel's No: Jews and Jews in an unredeemed world, Christian Century (Nov. 7, 1990): 1021f (excerpt from Way of Jesus Christ).
- Reconciliation with Nature, World and World 11, no. 2 (1991): 117-123.
- Christianity in the Third Millenium, Theology Today 51, no. 1 (April 1994): 75-89.
- Justice for Victims and Perpetrators, Reformed World 44, no. 1 (March 1994).
- The Future of Theology (appeared in German in the journal Christ und Sozialist, 1997).
- The Change of Values in the Western World. Centre of Theological Inquiry, Princeton (lecture 1997; see also here).
- Klaus und Dietrich Bonhoeffer, in: Zeugen des Widerstands: Ehemalige Studenten der Universität Tübingen, die im Kampf gegen den Nationalsozialismus starben. 2nd ed. Ed. by J. Mehlhausen and K.D. Bracher. Mohr Siebeck, 1998. Pp. 194-216.
- Political Theology and Theology of Liberation, in: Liberating the Future: God, Mammon, and Theology. Ed. by Joerg Rieger. Fortress, 1998. Ch. 5.
- Theologia reformata et semper reformanda, in: Toward the Future of Reformed Theology: Tasks, Topics, Traditions. Trans. by J. Froehlich-Swartzentrueber. Ed. by D. Willis and M. Welker. Eerdmans, 1999.
- The Triune God: Rich in Relationships, The Living Pulpit (April-June, 1999). Copy 1.
- Praying and Watching. The 1999 Princeton Lectures on Youth, Church, and Culture, Princeton Seminary.
- What is a Theologian? The 1999 Princeton Lectures on Youth, Church, and Culture, Princeton Seminary.
- Liberating and Anticipating the Future, in: Liberating: Essays in Honor of Letty M. Russell. Ed. by M.A. Farley and S. Jones. Westminster John Knox, 1999. Ch. 14, pp. 189-208.
- Progress and Abyss: Remembering the Future of the Modern World, in: 2000 Years and Beyond: Faith, Identity and the Common Era. Ed. by P. Gifford. Routledge, 2003. Pp. 16-34 (also in: Review & Expositor 97, no. 3 : 301-314; Tyndale ejournal).
- Auf der Schwelle zum 3. Millennium: Hoffnung und Elend der Moderne, Uni-Journal (April 2000).
- Godless Theology, The Christian Century (Dec. 20-27, 2000): 1328-1329.
- The Destruction and Healing of the Earth: Ecology and Theology, in: God and Globalization: The Spirit and the Modern Authorities. Ed. by Max L. Stackhouse et al. Continuum, 2000. Ch. 5.
- Is there Life after Death?, in: The End of the World and the Ends of God: Science and Theology on Eschatology. Ed. by J.C. Polkinghorne and M. Welker. Continuum, 2000. Ch. 16 (Tyndale ebook).
- God's Kenosis in the Creation and Consummation of the World, in: The Work of Love: Creation as Kenosis. Ed. by J.C. Polkinghorne. Eerdmans, 2001.
- Watching for God, in: Walking with God in a Fragile World. Ed. by J.R. Langford and L.S. Rouner. Rowman & Littlefield, 2002. Pp. 59-72.
- The Last Days Have Begun. Why many Americans read the Bible as a Coded Timetable of World History (translated from Die Zeit 2002: "Die Endzeit hat begonnen. Warum viele Amerikaner die Bibel als verschlüsselten Fahrplan der Weltgeschichte lesen").
- Progress and Abyss: Remembrances of the Future of the Modern World, in: The Future of Hope: Christian Tradition Amid Modernity and Postmodernity. Ed. by M. Volf. Eerdmans, 2004. Pp. 3-26.
- Political Theology in Germany after Auschwitz, in: Public Theology for the 21st Century: Essays in Honour of Duncan B. Forrester. Ed. by W. Storrar and A. Morton. Continuum, 2004. Ch. 2.
- From the Beginning of Time in God's Presence, in: The End of time? The Provocation of Talking About God. Ed. by T. R. Peters and C. Urban. RSM Press, 2004. Pp. 54-64.
- Praying with Eyes Open, in: Loving God with Our Minds. The Pastor as Theologian: Essays in Honor of Wallace M. Alston. Ed. by M. Welker and C.A. Jarvis. Eerdmans, 2004. Pp. 195-201.
- Religious Dialogue or Social Justice?, in: The Quest for Liberation and Reconciliation. Ed. by M. Battle. Westminster John Knox, 2005. Pp. 3-9.
- Spring Institute for Lived Theology, University of Virginia, April 26-29, 2005. Lecture 1, Reborn to a Living Hope: Personal Experience and Political Consciousness; Lecture 2, There is Enough for Everyone: The Spirit of Life and Social Consciousness; Lecture 3, In God we trust, in us God trusts: On freedom and security in a "Free World" (see also copy); Lecture 4 (with Willis Jenkins), The New Earth in which Justice Dwells: The Creative Spirit and Ecological Consciousness (or pdf).
- Is the World Coming to an End or Has its Future Already Begun? Christian Eschatology, Modern Utopianism and Exterminism, in: Future as God's Gift: Explorations In Christian Eschatology. Ed. by D. Fergusson and M. Sarot. Continuum, 2005. Ch. 7.
- The Blessing of Hope: The Theology of Hope and the Full Gospel of Life. Journal of Pentecostal Theology 13, no. 2 (2005): 147–161.
- Von Angesicht zu Angesicht, in: Denkwürdiges Geheimnis: Beiträge zur Gotteslehre. Ed. by I.U. Dalferth, et al. Mohr Siebeck, 2006.
- The Crucified God: Yesterday and Today (1972-2002); and The Cross as Military Symbol for Sacrifice. Cross Examinations: Readings on the Meaning of the Cross Today. Trans. by M. Kohl. Ed. by M. Trelstad. Fortress, 2006.
- Darwin and the Interpretation of Natural History. 43rd Annual Meeting of the Wesleyen Theological Society. Panel Discussion: "Darwin, Theology and Culture". Duke Divinity School, March 2008 (audio).
- Horizons of Hope. A Critique of 'Spe salvi', Christian Century (May 20, 2008).
- Will All Be Saved, or Only a Few? A Dialogue between Faith Grace, in: Theology as Conversation: The Significance of Dialogue in Historical Dialogue in Historical and Contemporary Theology. Ed. by B. McCormick and K. Bender. Eerdmans, 2009. Pp. 235-240.
- God the Father in the Life of the Holy Trinity, International Journal of Orthodox Theology 1, no. 1 (2010): 38-48.
- Final Judgement: Sunrise of Christ's Liberating Justice. Ed. by T. Grimsrud & M. Hardin. Compassionate Eschatology. The Future as Friend. Wipf & Stock, 2011. Pp. 219-229
- Christianity: A Religion of Joy. Presentation at Yale Centre for Faith and Culture, September, 2012.
- The Spirit of Life, in: The Spirit in Creation and New Creation: Science and Theology in Western and Orthodox Realms. Ed. by M. Welker. Eerdmans, 2012. Pp. 65-110.
- We believe in the forgiveness of sins, but who justifies the victim?, in: Comfortable Words: Essays in Honor of Paul F. M. Zahl. Ed. by John D. Koch, Todd H. W. Brewer. Wipf & Stock, 2013. Ch. 11, pp. 125-130.
- The Passibility or Impassibility of God. Answers to J. K. Mozley's Six Necessary Questions, in: Within the Love of God: Essays on the Doctrine of God. Ed. by P. Fiddes. Oxford, 2014. Ch. 7. Pp. 108-119.
Listening Room: Videos / Podcasts with Jürgen Moltmann
(See also www.moltmanniac.com)
- Resurrection as Hope, Princeton Theological Seminary, 1968 (published in The Harvard Theological Review 61, no. 2 [April 1968]: 129-147; see: Tyndale ejournal).
- The Future as Paradigm of Transcendence, Gallahue Conference, Princeton Theological Seminary, April 18, 1968. Published as Hope and History, Theology Today 25, no. 3 (Oct, 1968): 369-386.
- The Crucified God: A Chapter in the Theology of Liberation, Princeton Seminary, 1972. Published as "The Crucified God," Theology Today 31, no 1 (April 1974): 6-18 (Tyndale ejournal).
- Messianic Lifestyle, Princeton Theological Seminary, 1976; published (edited) as "Messianic Way of Life," Church in the Power of the Spirit, 1977, 275-289.
- The Trinitarian History of God, Princeton, 1976.
- God's Covenant and Human Rights, Princeton, 1976.
- The Theology of Liberation and the Third World, Princeton, 1976.
Warfield Lectures, Princeton Theological Seminary (October 1979; edited versions later published in Trinity and the Kingdom of God, 1981).
- Biblical Foundation: The Trinitarian History of the Son of God.
- The Resurrection and the Future of Christ
- The Revised Concept of Trinity
- The Passion of God
- The Realn of the Triune God: Divine Monarchy?
- The Trinitarian Realm of Freedom
The Parchman Endowed Lectures, Baylor University, March 21-23, 2000. Waco, TX.
- Session 1: "Is there life after death?" (54:22). Published in: In the End--The Beginning: The Life of Hope, 2004, pp. 101-118.
- Session 2: "Perichoresis: An old magical word for a new trinitarian theology" (54:32). Published in Sun of Righteousness, Arise!, 2010, ch. 14 and 11.
- Session 3: Response to Questions (23:40).
Grider-Winget Lecture Series. Nazarene Theological Seminary, Kansas City, MO. Oct. 8-10, 2001.
- Lecture 1: "The Holy Spirit and the Theology of Life." Published in The Source of Life, 1997, ch. II.
- Lecture 2: "Christian Eschatology, Globalization and Terrorism." Edited & published as "Globalization, Terrorism and the Beginning of Life," A Passion for God's Reign, 1998, ch. 6. (NB: Moltmann notes the lecture was changed in view of 9/11 one month earlier).
- Lecture 3: a) "Wrestling with God: A Personal Meditation on Jacob's Struggle at the Brook Jabbok, following Genesis 32:25-32," and b) "Praying and Watching." Published in The Source of Life, 1997, chapters I and XI.2,4 (edited).
- A Crisis of Trust? Trust in a Culture of Suspicion and Spin. "Control is Good, but Trust is Better." Lecture given at Yale Divinity School, Sept. 17, 2004 (67 min). Published in: Theology Today 62 (2006): 465-75.
- "The Vital Power of Hope." Sixth Annual Day of Common Learning, Seattle Pacific University, Oct. 24, 2007. Video or audio (50:49). Q & A with faculty (25:12) Also iTunes download.
"God's Unfinished Future: Why it Matters Now." Trinity Institute's 37th National Theological Conference, Trinity Wall Street, New York, January 23-24, 2007.
- Lecture 1: "The Final Judgement: Sunrise of Christ's Liberating Justice" (1:25:44). Published in the Anglican Theological Review 89, no. 4 (Fall 2007): 565-576 (Tyndale ejournal).
- Lecture 2: "The Presence of God's Future: The Risen Christ" (1:11:33). Published in the Anglican Theological Review 89, no. 4 (2007): 577-588 (Tyndale ejournal).
- Interview (17:43).
- "The Crucified God: A Modern Theology of the Cross." Seattle University School of Theology and Ministry, 2007 (1:20:54).
- "Darwin and the Interpretation of Natural Theology." Plenary Session 3, Society for Pentecostal Studies and the Wesleyan Theological Society Joint Meeting, Duke Divinity School, March 14, 2008. (88 min; edited version published in Sun of Righteousness, Arise!, 2010, ch. 17); with panel discussion; Moltmann's pdf for panel; response by Fredrick Ware, pdf).
- "Sighs, Signs, and Significance: A Theological Hermeneutics of Nature." Plenary Session 1, Society for Pentecostal Studies and the Wesleyan Theological Society Joint Meeting, Duke Divinity School, March 13, 2008. (55 min). Published in Sun of Righteousness, Arise!, 2010, ch. 16.
- 2009 Emergent Village Theological Conversation, led by Tony Jones. Sept. 9-11, 2009, Chicago. 6 episodes plus preamble: 1) biography; 2) method [esp re: Barth]; 3) theology of the cross; 4); society, peace etc.; 5) ... ; 6) ... (download via Dropbox).
- "Do you understand what you are reading?" New Testament Scholarship and the Hermeneutical Question. 2nd Annual C.F.D. Moule Memorial Lecture. Ridley Hall, Cambridge. June 10, 2009 (46:28). Published in: Theology 113, no. 872 (March 2010): 83-95. German: Evangelische Theologie, 71 no. 6 (2011): 405-414.
- "Is world unfinished? On interactions between science and theology in the concepts of nature, time and the future." 2011 Boyle Lecture, St. Lawrence Jewry, Guildhall Yard, London. February 8, 2011. Published in: Theology 114, no. 6 (Nov. 2011): 403-413 (Tyndale ejournal).
- "'Sun of Righteousness, Arise!' The Justification of Sinners and Victims, from Martin Luther to Martin Luther King." Candler School of Theology, Emory University, Oct. 31, 2011 (1:14:06). Published in: Theology Today 69, no 1 (April 2012): 7-17 (Tyndale ejournal).
- From Physics to Theology: A Personal Story. The Faraday Institute for Science and Religion. St. Edmund's College, Cambridge. Feb. 14, 2012 (1:07:04). Published: Science & Christian Belief 24, no. 2 (Oct. 2012): 99-109 (Tyndale ejournal); Transcript of podium discussion, with David Ford, John Polkinghorne, Richard Bauckham et al. (15 pp).
- "80 Jahre Barmer Theologische Erklärung", May 31, 2014 (47:10). Studientag von Landessynode und Landeskirchenrat der Evangelisch-Lutherische Kirche in Bayern.
- "Who is God for you?" (Jürgen Moltmann with Miroslav Volf), June 27, 2014 (4:15).
- "Theology of Joy" (Jürgen Moltmann with Miroslav Volf), Yale University, posted June 27, 2014 (25:43).
- "Predestination: Karl Barth's Doctrine of the Election of Grace," June 21, 2015. Karl Barth Conference, Princeton Theological Seminary, Princeton, NJ; further Q & A, June 22, 2015 (beginning at 1:31:30).
- The Crucified God with Jürgen Moltmann, AAR, Atlanta, GA, November 2015 (Homebrewed Christianity Podcast Live, interviewed by Tripp Fuller - start at 14 min 20 sec).
- Future of Theology, Ecumenical Centre, World Council of Churches, Geneva, Switzerland January 14, 2016 (1:16:09); ("Moltmann leads ecumenical reflections in Geneva").
Introductory Articles & Essays on Jürgen Moltmann
- Bauckham, Richard. "Jürgen Moltmann." In: The Modern Theologians: An Introduction to Christian Theology Since 1918, 3rd ed., edited by David Ford, 147-162. Blackwell, 2013 (copy 1; Tyndale ebook).
- Bauckham, Richard. "Introduction." Jürgen Moltmann: Collected Readings. Fortress, 2014. (see also Bauckham below; also Tyndale ebook).
- Grenz, Stanley, and Roger Olsen. "Jürgen Moltmann: The Transcendence and Immanence of the Future." In: 20th Century Theology: God and the World in a Transitional Age, ed. by Stanley J. Grenz and Roger E. Olson, 172-185. InterVarsity, 1997.
- Kennedy, Philip. "Jürgen Moltmann," Twentieth Century Theologians: A New Introduction to Modern Christian Thought. Tauris, 2010, ch. 14 (Tyndale ebook).
- Kjolsvik, Idar. "Jürgen Moltmann," in: Key Theological Thinkers: From Modern to Postmodern. Edited by Svein Rise and Staale Johannes Kristiansen. Ashgate, 2013. Ch. 13.
- Webster, John B. Jürgen Moltmann: Trinity and Suffering, Evangel (Summer 1985): 4-6.
- Williams, Stephen N. Jürgen Moltmann: A Critical Introduction, in: Getting Your Bearings: Engaging With Contemporary Theologians. P. Duce & D. Strange, eds., Apollos, 2003; also The Problem with Moltmann, European Journal of Theology 5, no. 2 (1996): 157-167.
Introductory Books on the Theology of Jürgen Moltmann
Collections, Monographs and Dissertations on Moltmann's Work
- Adam, Margaret B. Our only hope: More than we can ask or imagine. Wipf & Stock, 2013.
- Althouse, Peter. Spirit of the Last Days: Pentecostal Eschatology in Conversation with Jürgen Moltmann. Continuum, 2003 (also original doctoral dissertation - pdf)
- Ansell, Nicholas. The Annihilation of Hell: Universal Salvation and the Redemption of Time in the Eschatology of Jürgen Moltmann. Paternoster, 2014.
- Bauckham, Richard, ed. God Will Be All in All: The Eschatology of Jürgen Moltmann. Continuum, 2005 (mix of primary and secondary sources).
- Bentley, Wessel. The Kingdom of God in Moltmann’s Eschatology: A South African Perspective. MA thesis, University of Pretoria, 2004.
- Bouma-Prediger, Steven. The Greening of Theology: The Ecological Models of Rosemary Radford Ruether, Joseph Sittler, and Jürgen Moltmann. Oxford, 1995.
- Bonzo, J. M. Indwelling the Forsaken Other : The Trinitarian Ethics of Jurgen Moltmann. Ph.D. thesis, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, 2007.
- Carter, Dee. The Redemption of Nature: Accounts of Atonement in Jürgen Moltmann's Theology. Ph.D. thesis, University of Gloucestershire, 2005 (pdf).
- Chin, Soh Guan. A trinitarian covenantal theology of the church. Ph.D. thesis, University of Aberdeen, 1993 (pdf).
- Chung, Sung Wook, ed. Jürgen Moltmann and Evangelical Theology: A Critical Engagement. Wipf & Stock, 2012.
Dare, Ben. Foundations of ‘Ecological Reformation’: A Critical Study of Jürgen Moltmann’s Contributions towards a ‘New Theological
Architecture’ for Environment Care. PhD dissertation, Cardiff University, 2012.
- George, Kerry. Architects of Hope: Constructions and constructiveness in the theological worldviews of Jürgen Moltmann and Sergei Bulgakov. Ph.D. thesis, Murdoch University, 2009.
- Gilbertson, Michael. God and History in the Book of Revelation: New Testament Studies in Dialogue with Pannenberg and Moltmann. Cambridge, 2003 (Tyndale ebook; also here).
- Harvie, Timothy. Jürgen Moltmann's Ethics of Hope: Eschatological Possibilities For Moral Action. Ashgate, 2013 (Copy 1, Copy 2; Tyndale ebook); Ethics of hope: The moral landscape of Jurgen Moltmann's theology. Ph.D. thesis, Univ. of Aberdeen, 2006.
- Jeroncic, Ante. A Peaceable Logic of Self-integration: Jürgen Moltmann's Theological Anthropology and the Postmodern Self. Ph.D. thesis, University of Chicago, 2008.
- Kang, Tae-Young. Geist und Schöpfung: eine Untersuchung zu Jürgen Moltmanns pneumatologischer Schöpfungslehre (Spirit and Creation: A Study of Jürgen Moltmann's Pneumatological Doctrine of Creation). D.Th. dissertation, University of Heidelberg, 2003 (pdf).
- Kim, Nam Van. A Church of Hope in the Light of the Eschatological Ecclesiology of Jürgen Moltmann. Ph.D. thesis, Université catholique du Louvain, 2004.
- Kim, Yong Jun. A reformed assessment of the revitalization of the doctrine of the Trinity by four leading twentienth century protestant theologians. Ph.D. thesis, Pretoria, 2008.
- Law, Jeremy T. The future of Jesus Christ : a constructive analysis of the development of the eschatological structure of Jurgen Moltmann's theology, 1964-1996. D.Phil. dissertation, Oxford, 1998.
- Ledgerwood, Elaine Claire. The desert shall bloom : a dialogue between experiences of supporting trauma survivors and Moltmann & Sölle's theologies of suffering and hope. Ph.D. Thesis, Murdoch University, 2010.
- Lee, Hyo-Dung. Jürgen Moltmann as a biblical theologian : political hermeneutic of scripture as foundational for ecological theology. M.A. thesis, McGill University, 1995.
- Leister, Daniel L. Experience, Language, and Dialogue in Postmodern Theology: A study of Jürgen Moltmann's Theological Method. Ph.D. thesis, McMaster University, 1995.
- McDougall, Joy Ann. Pilgrimage of Love: Moltmann on the Trinity and Christian Life. Oxford, 2005. (With Introduction by J. Moltmann) (Tyndale ebook).
- McLaughlin, Ryan P. Preservation and Protest: Theological Foundations for an Eco-Eschatological Ethics. Augsburg Fortress, 2014.
- Moss, Rodney L. Truth as anticipation: Moltmann and Popper on the concept of openness. Ph.D. thesis, University of Durban-Westville, 1992.
- Oden, Patrick. The Transformative Church: New Ecclesial Models and the Theology of Jurgen Moltmann. Fortress, 2015 (Tyndale ebook).
- Oh, Jea Eun. The Suffering God in the Theologies of Choan-Seng Song and Jürgen Moltmann: An Asian Perspective. Th.D. Thesis, University of Toronto, 2000 (pdf).
- Paeth, Scott. Exodus Church and Civil Society: Public Theology and Social Theory in the Work of Jürgen Moltmann. Ashgate, 2008 (Tyndale ebook).
- Park, Mann. Jürgen Moltmann's Theology of the Trinity and its Significance for Contemporary Social Questions--A Dialogical Approach. Ph.D. Thesis, University of St. Michael's College, Toronto, 2000 (pdf).
- Sanders, Matthew. Subordinate but Equal: The Intra-Trinitarian Subordination of the Son to the Father in the Theologies of P. T. Forsyth and Jürgen Moltmann. Ph.D. thesis, University of St. Andrews, 2010.
- Scaringi, Paul A. Freedom and the 'Creative Act' in the Writings of Nikolai Berdiaev: An Evaluation in Light of Jürgen Moltmann's Theology of Freedom. Ph.D. thesis, University of St. Andrews, 2007.
- Sharbaugh, Patricia A. Uncovering the Roots of the Crucified God: How Walter Brueggemann's Old Testament Theology Challenges and Contributes to Jürgen Moltmann's and Jon Sobrino's Interpretations of the Cross. Ph.D. thesis, Duquesne University, 2009.
- Van Prooijen, Ton. Limping But Blessed: Jürgen Moltmann's Search for a Liberating Anthropology. Rodopi, 2004 (Tyndale ebook).
- Volf, Miroslav, ed. The Future of Theology: Essays in Honor of Jürgen Moltmann. Eerdmans, 1996.
- Watts, Robert G. Realistic hope. The influence of eschatology on the social ethics of Reinhold Niebuhr and Jürgen Moltmann. Ph.D. dissertation, McGill University, 1980.
Essays, Articles & Chapters on Aspects of Moltmann's Work
(See also Tyndale ejournals; 339+ full-text pdf articles)
- Bryant, David. God's Body or Beloved Other? Sally McFague and Jürgen Moltmann on God and Creation, in: Theology as Conversatino: The Significance of Dialogue in Historical and Contemporary Theology. Edited by B. McCormick and K. Bender. Eerdmans, 2009. Pp. 179-193.
- Chan, Stephen. Hermeneutics of Hope: A Dialogical Study of Paul Ricoeur and Jürgen Moltmann. Presented at the Internationaler Konferenz über Moltmanns Denken und Sino-Theologie. Chung Yuen Christian College, Taipei, Taiwan. November 25-26, 2003.
- Clements, Keith W. Moltmann on the Congregation, Baptist Quarterly 28, no. 3 (1979): 101-109.
- Coffey, David M. Recent Theology: Moltmann, in: Deus Trinitas: The Doctrine of the Triune God. Oxford, 1999. Ch. 6 (Tyndale ebook).
- Congdon, David W. Creatio Continua Ex Electione: A Post-Barthian Revision of the Doctrine of Creatio Ex Nihilo, Koinonia 22 (2010): 33-53 (also here).
- Conradie, Ernst. The Justification of God? The Story of God's Work according to Jürgen Moltmann, Part I, Scriptura 97 (1998): 76-90; Part II, Scriptura 97 (1998): 91-105. Jürgen Moltmann on Nova Creatio, in: Saving the Earth? The Legacy of Reformed Views on "Re-Creation". LIT Verlag, 2013. Ch. 7.
- Constas, Nicholas. Eschatology and Christology. Moltmann and the Greek Fathers, in: God's Life in Trinity. M. Volf and M. Welker, eds. Fortress, 2006. Ch. 16.
- Grenz, Stanley J. The Trinity as the Divine Engagement with the World: Jürgen Moltmann, in: Rediscovering the Triune God: The Trinity in Contemporary Theology. Fortress, 2004. Pp. 73-88.
- Haudel, Matthias. Jürgen Moltmanns Vermittlungsversuch zwischen westlicher and östlicher Theologie als INTERpersonal geprägte Trinitätslehre, in: Selbsterschliessung des Dreieinigen Gottes: Grundlage eines ökumenischen Offenbarungs-, Gottes- und Kirchenverständnisses. Habilitationsschrift, Univ of Münster. Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht, 2006. Pp. 280-301.
- Hill, Graham. Jürgen Moltmann: The Church as Messianic, Relational Koinonia, in: Salt, Light, and a City: Introducing Missional Ecclesiology. Wipf & Stock, 2012. Ch. 8, pp. 88-97.
- Hornisch, Dirk. Christologische Begründungen der Diakonie im Horizont des Reiches Gottes nach Jürgen Moltmann. Abschlussarbeit, University of Heidelberg, 2000.
- Hyun-Chul, Cho. The Interconnectedness of all Creatures from the Perspective of Jürgen Moltmann; The Intrinsic Value of all Creatures from the Perspective of Jürgen Moltmann; The Compatibility of Ecological Concern and Social Concern from the Perspective of Jürgen Moltmann, in: An Ecological Vision of the World: Toward a Christian Ecological Theology for Our Age. Editrice Pontificia Università Gregoriana, 2004. Pp. 67-86; 141-156; 202-216.
- Irish, Jerry A. Moltmann's Theology of Contradiction, Theology Today 32, no. 6 (1975): 21-31.
- Jowers, Dennis W. The Theology of the Cross as Theology of the Trinity: A Critique of Jürgen Moltmann's Staurocentric Trinitarianism, Tyndale Bulletin 52, no. 2 (1991): 245-266.
- Korthaus, Michael. "Der leidende Gott": Die Kreuzestheologie J. Moltmanns als Theorie praktischer Theologie. Kreuzestheologie. Mohr-Siebeck, 2007. Pp. 218-264.
- Linahan, Jane E. Experiencing God in brokenness: the self-emptying of the Holy Spirit in Moltmann`s pneumatology, in: Encountering Transcendence: Contributions to a Theology of Christian Religious Experience. Edited by Lieven Boeve et al. Peeters, 2005.
- Macleod, Donald. The Christology of Jürgen Moltmann, Themelios 24, no. 2 (1999): 35-47.
- McWilliams, Warren. Jürgen Moltmann: The Crucified God, in: The Passion of God: Divine Suffering in Contemporary Protestant Theology. Mercer University Press, 1985. Ch. 2, pp. 25-50.
- Murrmann-Kahl, Michael. Jürgen Moltmanns trinitätstheologische Theodizee, in: "mysterium Trinitatis"? Fallstudien zur Trinitätslehre in der evangelischen Dogmatik des 20. Jahrhunderts. [Habilitationsschrift, Wien, unter Falk Wagner]. DeGruyter, 1997. S. 206-226.
- Naude, P.J. The marks of the church in South Africa today - In dialogue with Jürgen Moltmann on his 80th birthday, Verbum et Ecclesia 27, no. 3 (2006): 944-963.
- Oden, Patrick. An Emerging Pneumatology: Jürgen Moltmann and the Emerging Church in Conversation, Journal Of Pentecostal Theology 18, no. 2 (2009): 263-284.
- Otto, Randolf. The Resurrection in Jurgen Moltmann, Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society 35, no. 1 (March 1992): 81-90.
- Polkinghorne, John. Jürgen Moltmann's Engagement with the Natural Sciences, in: God's Life in Trinity. Edited by M. Volf and M. Welker. Fortress, 2006. Ch. 6.
- Rees, Frank. Resurrection as Good News for the Poor. A Critical Appraisal of the Resurrection Theology of Jürgen Moltmann, in: Prophecy and Passion: Essays in Honour of Athol Gill. Edited by David Neville. Australian Theological Forum, 2002. Pp. 126-157.
- Rigby, Cynthia. "Beautiful Playing." Moltmann, Barth and the Work of the Christian, in: Theology as Conversation: The Significance of Dialogue in Historical and Contemporary Theology. Edited by B. McCormick and K. Bender. Eerdmans, 2009. Pp. 101-116.
- Robinson, Dominic. Jürgen Moltmann, in: Understanding the 'Imago Dei': The Thought of Barth, von Balthasar and Moltmann. Ashgate, 2013. Ch. 4, pp. 129-158 (Tyndale ebook).
- Scaer, David. Jürgen Moltmann and His Theology of Hope, Springfielder 34, no. 1 (1970): 14-24; reprint in Journal of Evangelical Theology 13, no. 2 (1970): 69-79.
- Slade, Peter. Jürgen Moltmann and Open Friendship, in: Open Friendship in a Closed Society: Mission Mississippi and a Theology of Friendship. Oxford University, 2009. Pp. 9-24 (Tyndale ebook).
- Thompson, Curt. Jürgen Moltmann: Taking a Moment for Trinitarian Eschatology, in: Kierkegaard's Influence on Theology. J. Stewart, ed. Ashgate, 2012. Pp. 185-221.
- Thompson, Thomas. Interpretatio in bonem partem. Jürgen Moltmann on the Immanent Trinity, in: Theology as Conversation: The Significance of Dialogue in Historical and Contemporary Theology. Edited by B. McCormick and K. Bender. Eerdmans, 2009. Pp. 159-178.
- Von Balthasar, Hans Urs. The Shape of Christian Hope: Jürgen Moltmann; Theologies that Speak of Pain and Death in God: Jürgen Moltmann's Crucified (Trinitarian) God, in: Theo-drama: Theological Dramatic Theory. Transl. G. Harrison. Ignatius, 1998. Pp. 168-181; 227ff.
- Wiebe, Ben. Interpretation and Historical Cristicism: Jürgen Moltmann, Restoration Quarterly 24, no. 3 (1981): 155–166.
- Winn, Christian C. Collins, and Peter Goodwin Heltzel. ‘Before Bloch there was Blumhardt’: a thesis on theorigins of the theology of hope, Scottish Journal of Theology 62, no. 1 (2009): 26–39.
- Wood, Laurence W. Moltmann's Concept of the Trinitarian History of God, in: Theology as History and Hermeneutics: A Post-critical Conversation Theology. Emeth, 2005. Ch. 10, pp. 197-224 (also copy).
- Wrogeman, Henning. Dialog als "Qualitative Mission" -Jürgen Moltmann, in: Mission und Religion in der systematischen Theologie der Gegenwart: Das Missionsverständnis deutschsprachiger protestantischer Dogmatiker im 20. Jahrhundert. Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht, 1997.
- Wynne, Jeremy J. Serving the coming God: the insights of Jürgen Moltmann's eschatology for contemporary theology of mission, Missiology 35, no. 4 (2007): 437-445.
Online Videos on Jürgen Moltmann
- Bauckham, Richard. "On Jürgen Moltmann." (YouTube, 10:30)
- Hauerwas, Stanley. "On Jürgen Moltmann." (YouTube, 3:09)