Creation Care Reading Room
Note: this content was originally curated by Arnold Neufeldt-Fast and is no longer being maintained. Some links may not work. Content posted for archival purposes only.
This page is designed to provide Creation Care Resources to those without easy access to a theological library. Many of the links below connect you to Google Books previews as well as other materials. This virtual bibliography collects these materials on one page.
Google books with preview: "Environmental Theology" (sorted by date)
Preparation for Tyndale/A Rocha forum with Dr. Katharine Hayhoe
- Nov. 30, 2015 - Interview with Dr. Hayhoe on CBC The Current (start - 3:30)
- Nov. 13, 2015 - Dr. Hayhoe on Context with Lorna Dueck
- Nov. 9, 2015 - C. Gillis (on K. Hayhoe), Macleans
- May 5, 2015 - K. Hayhoe, TEDxtalk, "What if Climate Change is Real?"
- June 8, 2014 - NPR, A Christian scientist's mission to convert nonbelievers
Core Reading - Creation Care
- See important article by Dr. Howard Snyder: Salvation Means Creation Healed: Creation, Cross, Kingdom, and Mission (Paper presented at the 2005 Kingdom Conference: Exploring Issues of Mission, Mercy and Justice); also Why We Love the Earth: Our belief in a Creator, not crisis scenarios, drives our environmental concerns, Christianity Today, June 10, 2001 (Web-only). Prof. Snyder served as distinguished professor and chair of Wesley Studies at Tyndale Seminary from 2007 to 2012.
- Stassen, Glen H., and David P. Gushee. Care of the Creation, in: Kingdom Ethics: Following Jesus in Contemporary Context. InterVarsity, 2003. Ch. 21, pp. 427-448.
- Wright, Christopher J.H. The Arena of Mission: Mission and God`s Earth, in: The Mission of God: Unlocking the Bible`s Grand Narrative. InterVarsity Press, 2006. Ch. 12, pp. 397-420.
- A Rocha Canada: Environmental Stewardship
- Care of Creation
- Catholic Climate Covenant
- European Christian Environmental Network
- Evangelical Environmental Network
- Lausanne Creation Care Network
- Mennonite Creation Care Network
- Micah Network
- World Council of Churches: Care for Creation and Climate Change
- World Evangelical Alliance Creation Care Task Force
Creation Care: Introductory Chapters /Articles
- Banner, Michael. Why and How (Not) to Value the Environment, in: Christian Ethics and Contemporary Moral Problems. Cambridge, 1999. Ch. 5, pp. 163-203 (also copy 1; copy 2).
- Birch, Bruce C. Creator and Creation, in: Let Justice Roll Down: The Old Testament, Ethics, and Christian Life. Westminster John Knox, 1991. Ch. 3, pp. 71-104.
- Boulton, Wayne G., et al. Christian Environmental Ethics (Readings), in: From Christ to the World: Introductory Readings in Christian Ethics. Eerdmans, 1994.
- Bouma-Prediger, Steven. Environmental Ethics, in: The Encyclopedia of Christianity, Vol. 2. Ed. E. Fahlbusch et al. Eerdmans, 1999. Pp. 99-101; (with Brian Walsh), Ecological Homelessness and Shalom and the Character of Earthkeeping, in: Beyond Homelessness: Christian Faith in a Culture of Displacement. Eerdmans, 2008. Ch. 5-6, pp. 158-238.
- Cahill, Lisa Sowle. Creation and Ethics, in: The Oxford Handbook of Theological Ethics. Ed. Gilbert Meilaender and William Werpehowski. Oxford, 2005. Ch. 1, pp. 7-24 (also copy).
- Clark, Stephen. Environmental Ethics, in: Companion Encyclopedia of Theology. 2nd edition. Ed. Peter Byrne and James Leslie Houlden. Taylor & Francis, 1995. Ch. 40, pp. 843-870 (and copy).
- Cobb, John B., ed. The Church and Environmentalism, in: Progressive Christians Speak: A Different Voice on Faith and Politics. Westminster John Knox, 2003. Ch. 14, pp. 249-267.
- French, William. Ecology, in: The Blackwell Companion to Religious Ethics. Ed. William Schweiker. Wiley-Blackwell, 2005. Ch. 47, pp. 469-477.
- Gill, Robin. The Environment, in: Christian Ethics in Secular Worlds. Continuum, 2004. Part II, pp. 45-96.
- Gill, Robin, ed. The Environment [text and reader], in: A Textbook of Christian Ethics. 3rd ed. Continuum, 2006. Sec. 4, pp. 271-340 (and copy).
- Gushee, David P. Creation Care and the Climate Change Debate, in: The Future of Faith in American Politics: The Public Witness of the Evangelical Center. Baylor, 2008. Ch. 7, pp. 175-198 (see also Stassen and Gushee below).
- Kearns, Laurel. The Context of Eco-Theology, in: Blackwell Modern Theology. Ed. Gareth Jones. Blackwell, 2004. Ch. 29, pp. 466-484 (also copy); Saving Creation: Christian Environmentalism in the United States, Sociology of Religion (Spring 1996).
- Haught, John F. Evolution, Ecology and the Promise of Nature, in: God after Darwin: A Theology of Evolution. 2nd ed. Westview, 2007. Ch. 9, pp. 153-172.
- Kao, Grace Y. For all Creation, in: To Do Justice: A Guide for Progressive Christians. Ed. Rebecca Todd Peters and Elizabeth Hinson-Hasty. Westminster John Knox, 2008. Ch. 10, pp. 97-107.
- Kirk, Andrew J. Care of the Environment, in: What is Mission?: Theological Explorations. Fortress, 2000. Ch. 9, pp. 164-183.
- Linzey, Andrew. Ecological Theology, in: Dictionary of Ethics, Theology, and Society. Ed. Paul A. B. Clarke and Andrew Linzey. Taylor & Francis, 1996. Pp. 262-266.
- McCormick, Patrick T., and Russell B. Connors. Environmental Ethics, Facing Ethical Issues: Dimensions of Character, Choices & Community. Paulist Press, 2002. Ch. 5, pp. 213-278.
- Nash, Roderick. The Greening of Religion, in: The Rights of Nature: A History of Environmental Ethics. Univ. of Wisconsin, 1989. Ch. 4, pp. 87-120.
- Northcott, Michael S. Ecology and Christian Ethics, in: The Cambridge Companion to Christian Ethics. Ed. Robin Gill. Cambridge, 2001. Ch. 15, pp. 209-227.
- Quash, Ben. Offering: Treasuring the Creation, in: The Blackwell Companion to Christian Ethics. 3rd edition. Ed. Stanley Hauerwas. Wiley-Blackwell, 2007. Ch. 23, pp. 305-318.
- Van Dyke, Fred. Cultural Transformation and Conservation: Growth, Influence, and Challenges for the Judeo-Christian Stewardship Environmental Ethic, Perspectives on Science and Christian Faith, Vol. 58, No. 1 (March 2006), 48-63.
- Wood, John R. Biophilia and the Gospel: Loving Nature or Worshipping God?, in: Living in the Lamblight: Christianity and Contemporary Challenges to the Gospel. Regent College, 2001. Ch. 8, pp. 153-176.
Creation Care: Introductory Texts
- Bakken, Peter W., Joan Gibb Engel, J. Ronald Engel. Ecology, Justice, and Christian Faith: A Critical Guide to the Literature. Greenwood Publishing Group, 1995.
- Bauman, Whitney. Theology, Creation, and Environmental Ethics: From Creatio Ex Nihilo to Terra Nullius. Taylor & Francis, 2009.
- Bergmann, Sigurd. Creation Set Free: The Spirit as Liberator of Nature. D. Stott, trans. Eerdmans, 2005 (also copy).
- Berry, Robert James. Environmental Stewardship: Critical Perspectives, Past and Present. Continuum, 2006 (see also copy); God`s Book of Works: The Nature and Theology of Nature. Continuum, 2003 (also copy).
- Bouma-Prediger, Steven. The Greening of Theology: The Ecological Models of Rosemary Radford Ruether, Joseph Sittler, and Jürgen Moltmann. Oxford, 1995.
- Bowe, Barbara Ellen et al., eds. Earth, Wind, and Fire: Biblical and Theological Perspectives on Creation. Liturgical, 2004.
- Bratton, Susan Power. Environmental Values in Christian Art. SUNY, 2007.
- Brock, Rita Nakashima, and Rebecca Ann Parker. Saving Paradise: How Christianity Traded Love of This World for Crucifixion and Empire. Beacon, 2008.
- Brown, William P. The Ethos of the Cosmos: The Genesis of Moral Imagination in the Bible. Eerdmans, 1999.
- Burrell, David B., and Elena Malits. Original Peace: Restoring God`s Creation. Paulist, 1997.
- Carroll, John E., Paul T. Brockelman, and Mary Westfall, eds. The Greening of Faith: God, the Environment, and the Good Life. University Press of New England, 1997.
- Case-Winters, Anna. Reconstructing a Christian Theology of Nature: Down to Earth. Ashgate, 2007.
- Deane-Drummond, Celia. Eco-Theology. Saint Mary`s, 2008; also The Ethics of Nature. Blackwell, 2004.
- Dempsey, Carol J., and Russell A. Butkus, ed. All Creation is Groaning: An Interdisciplinary Vision for Life in a Sacred Universe. Liturgical Press, 1999.
- Eaton, Heather. Introducing Ecofeminist Theologies. Continuum, 2005.
- Edwards, Denis, ed. Earth Revealing--Earth Healing: Ecology and Christian Theology. Liturgical Press, 2001.
- Fern, Richard L. Nature, God and Humanity: Envisioning an Ethics of Nature. Cambridge, 2002.
- Fowler, Robert Booth. The Greening of Protestant Thought. UNC Press, 1995.
- Gebara, Ivone. Longing for Running Water: Ecofeminism and Liberation. Tr. David Molineaux. Fortress, 1999.
- Gibson, William E. Eco-justice -- the Unfinished Journey. SUNY Press, 2004.
- Gottfried, Robert R. Economics, Ecology, and the Roots of Western Faith: Perspectives from the Garden. Rowman & Littlefield, 1995.
- Gottlieb, Roger S., ed. The Oxford Handbook of Religion and Ecology. Oxford, 2006; This Sacred Earth: Religion, Nature, Environment. 2nd ed. Routledge, 2004; A Greener Faith: Religious Environmentalism and our Planet`s Future. Oxford, 2006.
- Grey, Mary C. Sacred Longings: The Ecological Spirit and Global Culture. Fortress, 2004.
- Hart, John. What are They Saying about Environmental Theology?. Paulist, 2004; Sacramental Commons: Christian Ecological Ethics. Rowman & Littlefield, 2006.
- Hessel, Dieter T. and Larry L. Rasmussen, eds. Earth Habitat: Eco-Injustice and the Church`s Response. Fortress, 2001.
- Hiebert, Theodore. The Yahwist`s Landscape: Nature and Religion in Early Israel. Oxford, 1996.
- Hoezee, Scott. Remember Creation: God`s World of Wonder and Delight. Eerdmans, 1998.
- Hyun-Chul, Cho. An Ecological Vision of the World: Toward a Christian Ecological Theology for Our Age. Editrice Pontificia Università Gregoriana, 2004.
- Jenkins, Willis E. Ecologies of Grace: Environmental Ethics and Christian Theology. Oxford, 2008 (also copy).
- Johnson, Elizabeth A. Women, Earth, and Creator Spirit. Paulist, 1993.
- King, Carolyn M. Habitat of Grace: Biology, Christianity and the Global Environmental Crisis. Australian Theological Forum, 2002.
- Kirk, Janice E., and Donald R. Kirk. Cherish the Earth: The Environment and Scripture. Herald Press, 1993 (available to Tyndale students only as NetLibrary ebook).
- MacKinnon, Mary H., and Moni McIntyre, eds. Readings in Ecology and Feminist Theology. Rowman & Littlefield, 1995.
- Maguire, Daniel C., and Larry L. Rasmussen. Ethics for a Small Planet: New Horizons on Population, Consumption, and Ecology. SUNY, 1998.
- McFague, Sallie. Life Abundant: Rethinking Theology and Economy for a Planet in Peril. Fortress, 2001; Super, Natural Christians: How We Should Love Nature. Fortress, 1997.
- Northcott, Michael S. The Environment and Christian Ethics. Cambridge, 1996 (also copy 1, copy 2).
- Ray, Darby Kathleen, ed. Theology that Matters: Ecology, Economy, and God. Fortress, 2006.
- Redekop, Calvin Wall. Creation and the Environment: An Anabaptist Perspective on a Sustainable World. JHU Press, 2000 (also available as full-text ebook to Tyndale students via eBrary).
- Sanguin, Bruce. Darwin, Divinity, and the Dance of the Cosmos: An Ecological Christianity. Wood Lake, 2007.
- Santmire, H. Paul. The Travail of Nature: The Ambiguous Ecological Promise of Christian Theology. Fortress, 1985.
- Schaeffer, Francis A., and Udo Middelmann. Pollution and the Death of Man: The Death of Man. Good News Publishers, 1992.
- Scharper, Stephen Bede. Redeeming the Time: A Political Theology of the Environment. Continuum, 1998.
- Scott, Peter. A Political Theology of Nature. Cambridge, 2003.
- Sideris, Lisa H. Environmental Ethics, Ecological Theology, and Natural Selection: Suffering and Responsibility. Columba, 2003.
- Toley, Noah J., and Daniel I. Block, ed. Keeping God's Earth: The Global Environment in Biblical Perspective. InterVarsity, 2010.
- Vallet, Ronald E., and Wanda Vassallo. The Steward Living in Covenant: A New Perspective on Old Testament Stories. Eerdmans, 2001.
- Van Dyke, Fred, et al. Redeeming Creation: The Biblical Basis for Environmental Stewardship. InterVarsity, 1996.
- Wallace, Mark I. Finding God in the Singing River: Christianity, Spirit, Nature. Fortress, 2005 (see also synopsis).
- Wilkinson, Loren, ed. Earthkeeping in the Nineties: Stewardship of Creation. 2nd rev`d ed. Eerdmans, 1991.
Wirzba, Norman. The Paradise of God: Renewing
Religion in an Ecological Age. Oxford, 2003 (full-text ebook available to Tyndale students via NetLibrary).
Monographs /Studies on Aspects of Creation Care
- Daly, Herman E., and Joshua Farley. Ecological Economics: Principles and Applications. Island Press, 2004.
- Dalton, Anne-Marie. A Theology for the Earth: The Contributions of Thomas Berry and Bernard Lonergan. University of Ottawa, 1999.
- Dunham, Scott A. The Trinity and Creation in Augustine: An Ecological Analysis. SUNY Press, 2008.
- Fick, Gary W. Food, Farming, and Faith. SUNY Press, 2008.
- Habel, Norman C., and Shirley Wurst, eds. The Earth Story in Genesis. Continuum, 2000.
- Habel, Norman C. The Earth Story in the Psalms and the Prophets. Continuum, 2001.
- Habel, Norman C., and Peter L. Trudinger. Exploring Ecological Hermeneutics. Society of Biblical Literature, 2008.
- Habel, Norman C., and Shirley Wurst, eds. The Earth Story in Wisdom Traditions. Continuum, 2001.
- Habel, Norman C., and Vicky Balabanski, eds. The Earth Story in the New Testament. Continuum, 2002.
- Hayes, Katherine Murphey. "The Earth Mourns": Prophetic Metaphor and Oral Aesthetic. Brill, 2002.
- Steiner-Aeschliman, Sherrie. The Integrated Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Environmentalism. Doctoral Dissertation, Washington State University. Universal-Publishers, 1999 (also copy).
Articles/Essays: Biblical-Theological Reflections
- Bangert, Byron C. Consenting to God and Nature: Toward a Theocentric, Naturalistic, Theological Ethics. Pickwick, 2006.
- Becker, William. Ecological Sin, Theology Today, Vol. 49, No.2 (July 1992), 152-164.
- Bergmann, Sigurd. Creation Set Free: The Spirit as Liberator of Nature. Tr. D. Stott. Eerdmans, 2005 (also copy).
- Brueggemann, Walter. Options for Creatureliness: Consumer or Citizen, in: The Word that Redescribes the World: the Bible and Discipleship. Fortress, 2006. Ch. 7, pp. 114-137; Using God`s Resources Wisely: Isaiah and Urban Possibility. Westminster John Knox, 1993 (see other Brueggemann writings, particularly on theology of the land).
- Chapman, Audrey R. The Greening of Science, Theology and Ethics, in: Science and Theology: The New Consonance, Ted Peters, ed. Westview, 1998. Ch. 14, pp. 211-227.
- DeWitt, Calvin, and Ronald Nash. Point-Counterpoint: The Christian and Environmental Issues, Christian Research Institute. Statement DE-403.
- Froehlich, Karlfried. The Ecology of Creation, Theology Today. Vol. 27, No. 3 (April 1970), 263-276.
- Gorringe, Timothy. God, Nature and the Built Environment, in: A Theology of the Built Environment: Justice, Empowerment, Redemption. Cambridge, 2002. Ch. 9, pp. 222-240 (also copy).
- Gulick, Walter B. The Bible and Ecological Spirituality, Theology Today, Vol. 48, No.2 (July 1991), 182-194.
- Jones, Keith. Baptists and Creation Care, Baptist Quarterly, Vol. 42, No. 7 (July 2008), 1-25.
- McFague, Sally. A Square in the Quilt: One Theologian`s Contribution to the Planetary Agenda, in: Spirit and Nature: Why the Environment is a Religious Issue: An Interfaith Dialogue. Ed. Steven C. Rockefeller and John Elder. Beacon, 1992. Ch. 3, pp. 39-58;A Manifesto to North American Middle-Class Christians, Making Waves: Women`s Inter-Church Council of Canada (Winter 2000).
- Moltmann, Jürgen. God in Creation: A New Theology of Creation and the Spirit of God [Original German title: "... An Ecological Theology of Creation]. Fortress, 1993; The Destruction and Healing of the Earth: Ecology and Theology, in: God and Globalization: The Spirit and the Modern Authorities. Ed. Max L. Stackhouse et al. Continuum, 2000. Ch. 5; God`s Kenosis in the Creation and Consummation of the World. The Work of Love: Creation as Kenosis. J.C. Polkinghorne, ed. Eerdmans, 2001; Reconciliation with Nature, in: World and World. Vol. 11, No. 2 (1991), 117-123. For other articles by Moltmann on ecological themes in theology, see our Moltmann Reading Room.
- Neff, David. Second Coming Ecology: We Care for the Environment Precisely Because God will Create a New earth, Christianity Today, July 2008 (online).
- Peterson, Anna Lisa. Not of the World: Western Exceptionalism in the Western Tradition, Being Human: Ethics, Environment, and Our Place in the World. University of California, 2001. Ch. 2, pp. 28-50.
- Preston, Katharine M. The Green Gospel: Will Seminaries Equip Church Leaders for an Age of Environmental Crisis?, Sojourners, September/October 2007 (online version).
- Rhoads, David. Reading the New Testament in the Environmental Age (Luther Seminary, n.d.); ECO-Theology: What Every Seminarian Should Learn about Caring for Creation, Sojourners, September/October, 2007; see also Nature, in: Glimpses of a Strange Land: Studies in Old Testament Ethics. Continuum, 2001. Ch. 17, pp. 234-249.
- Santmire, H. Paul. Nature Reborn: The Ecological and Cosmic Promise of Christian Theology. Fortress, 2000.
- Scott, Peter. A Political Theology of Nature. Cambridge, 2003.
- Toole, David C. Divine Ecology and the Apocalypse. A Theological Description of Natural Disasters and the Environmental Crisis, Theology Today. Vol. 55, No. 4 (January 1999), 547-561.
- Tubbs, James B., Jr. Humble Dominion, Theology Today, Vol.50, No.4 (January 1994), 543-556.
- Wink, Walter. Ecobible: The Bible and Ecojustice, Theology Today, Vol. 49, No.4 (January 1993), 465-477.
- Ecology/Environment: Large collection of full-text academic articles/ papers (Religion-Online)
- Creation Care Magazine: Back Issues (A Christian Environmental Quaterly)
- CrossCurrents: Collection of articles on religion and ecology
- Search for "Creation Care", etc. at Theological Journals Search (free online journals with full-text).
- Search for "Creation Care," etc. at www.pdf-search-engine.com.
Available for Tyndale students and faculty only via the Gale Virtual Reference Library:
- Encyclopedia of Environmental Ethics and Philosophy, 2 vol., 2009.
- Encyclopedia of Global Warming and Climate Change, 3 vol., 2008.
Creation Care: Together with Non-Christian Neighbours
- Chamberlain, Gary L. Troubled Waters: Religion, Ethics, and the Global Water Crisis. Rowman & Littlefield, 2007.
- Ruether, Rosemary Radford. Integrating Ecofeminism, Globalization, and World Religions. Rowman & Littlefield, 2005.
- ... under construction
Other Sources in the WWW
- Creation Care Websites and Statements (by denomination; last update: Nov/08)
- Statement -On the Care of Creation, World Evangelical Alliance General Assembly, Oct 25-30, 2008.
- An Evangelical Declaration on the Care of Creation (Original signing: 1994)
- Evangelical Environmental Network and Creation Care Magazine
- Web of Creation: Ecology Resources to Transform Faith and Society
- Creation, Environment and the Bible: Resources (Gordon Matties)
- Earth Ministry: Caring for all Creation
- Flourish: Reviving Lives and Landscapes
- Christians and Climate (Evangelical Climate Initiative).
Green Campus Resources
- The Green Seminary Initiative: Theological Education for a Sustainable Future
- 5 Simple Ways to Green Your Office (New American Dream)
- Green Your School
- Creation Care Mini-Grant: Council of Christian Colleges and Universities (2009 Winner: Kings`s College University, Edmonton)
- Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education
- Renewing Creation: Students Caring for Creation
The Story of Stuff
21 min. video (Resources for Screening Event)