Christian Apologetics Reading Room
Note: this content was originally curated by Arnold Neufeldt-Fast and is no longer being maintained. Some links may not work. Content posted for archival purposes only.
This page is designed to provide Christian apologetics resources to those without easy access to a theological library. Many of the links below connect you to scanned, published books and articles made available by Google Books (often 75% of content). This virtual bibliography collects these materials on one page.
NB: For bibliographic management and notetaking while reading, Zotero is highly recommended ("a free, easy-to-use Mozilla Firefox extension to help you collect, manage, and cite your research sources"). For page snapshots and printing of Google Book pages, try Microsoft's snipping tool (paste text into Word -- or Zotero).
- "A Missional Apologetics Manifesto."(Missional Apologetics: Apologetics Reimagined for Today`s World).
- Stackhouse, John G. Humble Apologetics: Defending the Faith Today. Oxford, 2002 (For Tyndale students: full-text access to ebook via eBrary and/or NetLibrary).
- See also Missional Church Reading Room resources
Apologetics: Introductory Articles, Essays
- Metz, Johann Baptist. "Apologetics." In: Encyclopedia of Theology: The Concise Sacramentum mundi. Continuum, 1975. Pp. 20-24.
- Poehlmann, Horst G. "Apologetics." In: The Encyclopedia of Christianity, Vol. 1. Ed. E. Fahlbusch. Tr. G.W. Bromiley. Eerdmans, 1999. Pp. 102-104.
See other theological encyclopedia and theologians (Newbigin, Rahner, Pannenberg, Tillich) on apologetics in the Christian Theology Reading Room.
... under construction
- Beilby, James. Thinking about Christian Apologetics: What It Is and Why We Do It. IVP, 2011.
- Boa, Kenneth D. and Robert M. Bowman, Jr. Faith Has Its Reasons: An Integrative Approach To Defending Christianity. An Apologetics Handbook. 2nd ed., NavPress, 2003 (scroll all the way down).
- Bush, L. Russ, ed. Classical Readings in Christian Apologetics, A.D. 100-1800. Zondervan, 1983.
- Copan, Paul, and William Lane Craig, eds. Passionate Conviction: Contemporary Discourses on Christian Apologetics. B&H Publishing, 2007.
- Cowan, Steven B., et al. Five Views on Apologetics. Zondervan, 2000.
- Craig, William Lane. Reasonable Faith: Christian Truth and Apologetics. Rev`d ed. Good News Publishers, 1994.
- Dembski, William A., and Jay Wesley Richards, eds. Unapologetic Apologetics: Meeting the Challenges of Theological Studies. InterVarsity, 2001.
- Dulles, Avery R. A History of Apologetics. 2nd ed. Ignatius, 2005.
- Geisler, Norman, and Chad V. Meister, eds. Reasons for Faith: Making a Case for the Christian Faith. Good News, 2007.
- Geisler, Norman and Frank Turek. I Don`t Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist. Good News Publishers, 2004.
- Geivett, R. Douglas, and Gary R. Habermas, eds. In Defense of Miracles: A Comprehensive Case for God`s Action in History. InterVarsity Press, 1997.
- Groothuis, Douglas R. Christian Apologetics: A Comprehensive Case for Biblical Faith. IVP, 2011; Truth Decay: Defending Christianity Against the Challenges of Postmodernism. InterVarsity, 2000.
- Hauerwas, Stanley. For "embodied apologetics," cf. the Hauerwas Reading Room; see also Nigel Beggar, "Social Withdrawal: Is Stanley Hauerwas Sectarian?," in: Faithfulness and Fortitude: Conversations with the Theological Ethics of Stanley Hauerwas. Ed. Mark Thiessen Nation and Samuel Wells. T & T Clark, 2000. Ch. 7, pp. 141-160. Robert Webber also speaks of the shift in apologetics from rationalism to embodiment.
- Hebblethwaite, Brian. In Defence of Christianity. Oxford, 2005 (also copy 1 and copy 2).
- Hexham, Irving, et al., eds. Encountering New Religious Movements: A Holistic Evangelical Approach. Kregel, 2004.
- Hoitenga, Dewey J. Faith and Reason from Plato to Plantinga: An Introduction to Reformed Epistemology. SUNY, 1991.
- Keller, Timothy. The Reason for God: Belief in an Age of Skepticism. Dutton, 2008.
- Kreeft, Peter. Fundamentals of the Faith: Essays in Christian Apologetics. Ignatius, 1988; also (with Ronald K. Tacelli) Pocket Handbook of Christian Apologetics. InterVarsity, 2003.
- Lewis, C.S. See Tyndale's C.S. Lewis Reading Room.
- Long, Jimmy. Emerging Hope: A Strategy for Reaching Postmodern Generations. InterVarsity, 2004.
- McGrath, Alister E. Intellectuals Don`t Need God & Other Modern Myths: Building Bridges to Faith Through Apologetics. Zondervan, 1993.
- McLaren, Brian. "Design a New Apologetic." In: The Church on the Other Side: Doing Ministry in the Postmodern Matrix. Rev`d ed. Zondervan, 2003. Ch. 6, pp. 73-86; see also "Missing the Point: Evangelism," in: Adventures in Missing the Point: How the Culture-Controlled Church Neutered the Gospel (co-authored with Tony Campolo). Zondervan, 2003 (and copy). Pp. 94-111.
- Moreland, James Porter, and William Lane Craig. Philosophical Foundations for a Christian Worldview. InterVarsity, 2003.
- Murray, Michael J., and Alvin Plantinga. Reason for the Hope Within. Eerdmans, 1998.
- Nash, Ronald H. Faith and Reason: Searching for a Rational Faith. Zondervan, 1994.
- Naugle, David K. Worldview: The History of a Concept. Eerdmans, 2002.
- Phillips, Timothy R., and Dennis L. Okholm. Christian Apologetics in the Postmodern World. InterVarsity, 1995.
- Sire, James W. A Little Primer on Humble Apologetics. InterVarsity, 2006; Why Good Arguments Often Fail: Making a More Persuasive Case for Christ. InterVarsity, 2006.
- Sproul, Robert C. Defending Your Faith: An Introduction to Apologetics. Good News, 2003; Classical Apologetics: A Rational Defense of the Christian Faith and a Critique of Presuppositional Apologetics. Zondervan, 1984.
- Strobel, Lee. The Case for Christ: A Journalist`s Personal Investigation of the Evidence for Jesus. Zondervan, 2001; The Case for Faith: A Journalist Investigates the Toughest Questions to Christianity. Zondervan, 2002; The Case for the Real Jesus: A Journalist Investigates Current Attacks on the Identity of Christ. Zondervan, 2007.
- Taylor, James E. Introducing Apologetics: Cultivating Christian Commitment. IVP, 2006.
- Walsh, Brian J., and J. Richard Middleton. The Transforming Vision: Shaping a Christian Worldview. InterVarsity, 1984.
- Wood, W. Jay. Epistemology: Becoming Intellectually Virtuous. InterVarsity, 1998.
- ... under construction
Apologetics: Historical Studies
- Burson, Scott R., and Jerry L. Walls. C.S. Lewis & Francis Schaeffer: Lessons for a New Century from the Most Influential Apologists of our Time. InterVarsity, 1998. (See also Tyndale's C.S. Lewis Reading Room).
- Edwards, Mark J., et al, eds. Apologetics in the Roman Empire: Pagans, Jews, and Christians. Oxford, 1999.
- Follis, Bryan A. Truth with Love: The Apologetics of Francis Schaeffer. Good News, 2006.
- Harrison, Victoria S. The Apologetic Value of Human Holiness: von Balthasar`s Christocentric Philosophical Anthropology. Springer, 2000.
- Heering, Jan-Paul. Hugo Grotius as Apologist for the Christian Religion: A Study of his Work De veritate religionis Christianae, 1640. Tr. J.C. Grayson. Brill, 2004.
- Kofsky, Arieh. Eusebius of Caesarea Against Paganism. Brill, 2002 (and copy).
- Samir, Khalil, and Jørgen S. Nielsen, eds. Christian Arabic Apologetics During the Abbasid Period, 750-1258. Brill, 1994.
- Sims, John A. Missionaries to the Skeptics: Christian Apologists for the Twentieth Century : C.S. Lewis, Edward John Carnell, and Reinhold Niebuhr. Mercer, 1995.
- Sockness, Brent W. Against False Apologetics: Wilhelm Herrmann and Ernst Troeltsch in Conflict. Mohr Siebeck, 1998.
- Wang, Xiaochao. Christianity and Imperial Culture: Chinese Christian Apologetics in the Seventeenth Century and Their Latin Patristic Equivalent. Brill, 1998.
- ... under construction
View the newest books on "Christian apologetics" available with Google preview.
Books by Tyndale's Professor James Beverley
- Christ & Islam: Understanding the Faith of the Muslims. College, 2000.
- Holy Laughter and the Toronto Blessing: An Investigative Report. Zondervan, 1995.
- Prof. Beverley`s Blog: Christian Apologetics at Tyndale
Apologetics Resources on the WWW
- Missional Apologetics: Apologetics Reimagined for Today`s World
- Religious Groups in North America (Ontario Consultants on Religious Tolerance)
- New Religious Movements -links, Hartford Institute for Religion Research
- Hospitality Apologetics
- Alister McGrath, Apologetics (Recovering Christan Confidence)/ Response to Dawkins: Three complete PowerPoint presentations of McGrath`s lectures at Wycliffe College, 2007.
- Apologetics Index
- Centre for Biblical Apologetics (check the left and right columns)
- Alpha and Omega Ministries: Apologetics (see also Reformed Index)
- Ken Boa-Text Resources (scroll all the way down)
- Bible Probe for Christians and Messianic Jews
- Tony Costa Christian Apologetics (see "Articles")
- Rare Jewel Magazine
- Stand to Reason
- Ultimate Christian Apologetics ( scroll down to "Web site index" )
- Christian Colligation of Apologetics, Debate, Research and Evangelism
- Reformed Apologetics
- See also Dr. Tom McCormick`s Christian Apologetics Course Downloads
- Theological Journals Search (theological journals for which full text is freely available on the Internet; links to many good articles).
- See Tyndale`s eJournal Database (Choose EBSCOhost database; log in; choose "EBSCOhost" and then "All" databases; over 170 full-text theological journals available to you from home; for a few additional journals, go back to Tyndale Journal Database and choose the ProQuest Religion or JSTOR databases); see list of Tyndale`s academic ejournals with full-text articles for download.
- PDF Article Search Engine
- Cambridge Dictionary of Philosophy. Robert Audi, ed. Cambridge University, 1995. Pp. 1001 (available as eBook to the Tyndale community only over the Gale Virtual Reference Library).
- EpistemeLinks: Philosophy Resources on the Internet
- RS-Web: Philosophy Links
- Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy
- Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy