Biblical Interpretation and Application Reading Room
Note: this content was originally curated by Arnold Neufeldt-Fast and is no longer being maintained. Some links may not work. Content posted for archival purposes only.
This page is designed to help make resources for Biblical interpretation and application available to those without easy access to a theological library. Many of the links below connect you to scanned, published books made available by Google Books (often 75% of content). Importantly, Google Books allows you to search within a volume and also across volumes (rather than across the entire WWW).
NB: For bibliographic management and notetaking while reading, Zotero is highly recommended ("a free, easy-to-use Mozilla Firefox extension to help you collect, manage, and cite your research sources"). For page snapshots and printing of Google Book pages, try Microsoft's snipping tool (paste text into Word -- or Zotero).
Full text (for Tyndale)
- Oxford Encyclopedia of Biblical Interpretation, ed. S. McKenzie. OUP, 2014. )
- Listening to the Bible : The Art of Faithful Biblical Interpretation, ed. C. Bryan. OUP, 2013.
- Oxford Biblical Studies Online, ed. Bruce Metzger
- Adam, Andrew. Faithful Interpretation: Reading the Bible in a Postmodern World. Fortress Press, 2006; What is Postmodern Biblical Criticism?. Fortress, 1995.
- Archer, Kenneth J. A Pentecostal Hermeneutic for the Twenty-First Century: Spirit, Scripture, and Community. Continuum, 2004.
- Bar-Efrat, Shimeon. Narrative Art in the Bible. Continuum, 2004.
- Bartlett, John R., ed. Archaeology and biblical Interpretation. Routledge, 1997 (also copy 1; copy 2; full-text available to Tyndale students via eBrary ebooks)
- Barton, John. The Cambridge Companion to Biblical Interpretation. Cambridge, 1998 (and copy; full-text access for Tyndale community only from Cambridge Collections Online)
- Billings, J. Todd. The Word of God for the people of God: An Entryway to the Theological Interpretation of Scripture. Eerdmans, 2010.
- Bowald, Mark A. Rendering the Word in Theological Hermeneutics: Mapping Divine and Human Agency. Ashgate, 2007.
- Brenneman, James E. Canons in Conflict: Negotiating Texts in True and False Prophecy. Oxford, 1997 (full-text available to Tyndale students via eBrary ebooks).
- Brenner, Athalya, and Carole R. Fontaine, eds. A Feminist Companion to Reading the Bible: Approaches, Methods and Strategies. Taylor & Francis, 2001.
- Brueggemann, Walter. Texts under Negotiation: The Bible and Postmodern Imagination. 3rd edition. Fortress, 1993.
- Collins, John J. The Bible after Babel: Historical Criticism in a Postmodern Age. Eerdmans, 2005 (also copy).
- Countryman, L. William. Biblical Authority or Biblical Tyranny?: Scripture and the Christian Pilgrimage. 2nd revised edition. Continuum, 1994.
- Danker, Frederick W. Multipurpose Tools for Bible Study. 3rd revised edition. Fortress Press, 2003.
- de Lubac, Henri. Medieval Exegesis, Vol. 1. Mark Sebanc, trans. 2nd edition. Eerdmans, 1998 (and copy); Vol. 2, E. M. Macierowski, trans. Eerdmans, 2000 (and copy).
- Dietrich, Walter, and Ulrich Luz. The Bible in a World Context: An Experiment in Contextual Hermeneutics. Eerdmans, 2002.
- Dodd, C.H. The Bible Today. 2nd ed. Cambridge, 1956.
Dyck, Elmer, ed. The Act of Bible Reading: A Multidisciplinary Approach to Biblical Interpretation. InterVarsity, 1996.
Note: For a "missional" reading of Scripture, see Christopher Wright's The Mission of God. All MTS Modular students are encouraged to acquire and read this book. See also review. See the MTS Missional Reading Roomfor resources on missional hermeneutics.
- Ellens, J. Harold, and Wayne G. Rollins, eds. Psychology and the Bible: A New Way to Read the Scriptures. Vol. III: Gospels to Gnostics. Greenwood, 2004.
- Farmer, Ronald L. Beyond the Impasse: The Promise of a Process Hermeneutic. Mercer University, 1997.
- Fee, Gordon D. Listening to the Spirit in the Text. Eerdmans, 2000.
- Felder, Cain Hope, ed. Stony the Road we Trod: African American Biblical Interpretation. Fortress, 1991.
- Ferguson, Duncan S. Biblical Hermeneutics: An Introduction. Westminster John Knox, 1986.
- Finzel, Hans. Unlocking the Scriptures: Three Steps to Personal Bible Study. David C. Cook, 2003.
- Goldingay, John. Models for Interpretation of Scripture. Clements, 2004; Models for Scripture. Clements Publishing, 2004.
- Goodner, Paula, ed. Searching for Meaning: An Introduction to Interpreting the New Testament. Westminster John Knox, 2008.
- Green, Garrett. Theology, Hermeneutics, and Imagination: The Crisis of Interpretation at the End of Modernity. Cambridge, 2000 (and copy; full-text available to Tyndale students via eBrary ebooks).
- Habel, Norman C., and Peter L. Trudinger, eds. Exploring Ecological Hermeneutics. Society of Biblical Literature, 2008.
- Hagen, Kenneth, ed. The Bible in the Churches: How Different Christians Interpret the Scriptures. Marquette, 1994 (available as full-text only to Tyndale students via eBrary).
- Hayes, John H., and Carl R. Holladay. Biblical Exegesis: A Beginner`s Handbook. Revised edition. Westminster John Knox Press, 1987.
- Helmer, Christine, and Taylor G. Petrey, eds. Biblical Interpretation: History, Context, and Reality. Society of Biblical Literature, 2005 (also copy).
- Holgate, David A., and Rachel Starr. SCM Studyguide to Biblical Hermeneutics. SCM-Canterbury Press, 2006.
- Hunter, Alastair G., and Philip R. Davies, eds. Sense and Sensitivity: Essays on Reading the Bible in Memory of Robert Carroll.. Continuum, 2002.
- Johnson, Elliott E. Expository Hermeneutics: An Introduction. Zondervan, 1990.
- Kaiser, Walter C., and Moisés Silva. An Introduction to Biblical Hermeneutics: The Search for Meaning. Zondervan, 1994; The Old Testament Documents: Are they Reliable and Relevant?. InterVarsity, 2001.
- Kannengiesser, Charles. Handbook of Patristic Exegesis: The Bible in Ancient Christianity. Brill, 2004 (NB: Available only to Tyndale students via eBrary).
- Keck, Leander E. Taking the Bible Seriously. Abingdon, 1979.
- Kitzberger, Ingrid R., ed. The Personal Voice in Biblical Interpretation. Routledge, 1999 (and copy; also available as full-text to Tyndale students via eBrary).
- Kuhatschek, Jack. Applying the Bible. Zondervan, 1996.
- Küng, Hans and Jürgen Moltmann, eds. Conflicting ways of interpreting the Bible. T. & T. Clark, 1980.
- Long, V. Philips, Moises Silva, Richard A. Muller, Tremper Longman, Vern S. Poythress. Foundations of Contemporary Interpretation: Six Volumes in One. Zondervan, 1996 (copy vol. 1; copy vol. 5); copy vol. 6).
- Longenecker, Richard N. Biblical Exegesis in the Apostolic Period. 2nd revised edition. Eerdmans, 1999; New Testament Social Ethics for Today. Eerdmans, 1984.
- Lundin, Roger, Anthony C. Thiselton, Clarence Walhout, eds. The Promise of Hermeneutics: Person and Message in Theology and Rhetoric. Eerdmans, 1999; (ed.), Disciplining Hermeneutics: Interpretation in Christian Perspective. Eerdmans, 1997.
- Maier, Gerhard. Biblical Hermeneutics. R.W. Yarbrough, trans. Good News, 1994.
- McAuliffe, Jane Dammen, Barry Walfish, and Joseph Goering. With Reverence for the Word: Medieval Scriptural Exegesis in Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. Oxford, 2003 (NB. Tyndale students have full-access to this text over NetLibrary).
- McKenzie, Steven L. and Stephen Haynes. To Each Its Own Meaning: An Introduction to Biblical Criticisms and Their Application. 2nd revised edition. Westminster John Knox, 1999 (also Historical Handbook of Major Biblical Interpreters. InterVarsity, 1998.
- McKim, Donald. Dictionary of Major Biblical Interpreters. IVP, 2007.
- Montague, George T. Understanding the Bible: A Basic Introduction to Biblical Interpretation. Paulist, 1997.
- Moore, Stephen D., and Fernando F. Segovi, eds. Postcolonial Biblical Criticism: Interdisciplinary Intersections. Continuum, 2005 (also copy).
- Najman, Hindy, and Judith Newman, eds. The Idea of Biblical Interpretation: Essays in Honor of James L. Kugel. Brill, 2004 (also available as full-text to Tyndale students via eBrary).
- Negrov, Alexander I. Biblical Interpretation in the Russian Orthodox Church: A Historical and Hermeneutical perspective. Mohr Siebeck, 2008 (also copy).
- Ochs, Peter. The Return to Scripture in Judaism and Christianity: Essays in Postcritical Scriptural Interpretation. Paulist, 1993.
- Oeming, Manfred. Contemporary Biblical Hermeneutics: An Introduction. Joachim Vette, trans. Ashgate, 2006.
- Osborne, Grant R. The Hermeneutical Spiral: A Comprehensive Introduction to Biblical Interpretation. 2nd revised edition. InterVarsity, 2006 (and copy).
- Oxford Handbook of English Literature and Theology, Part III: Literary Ways of Reading the Bible (and copy). Ed. A. Hass, D. Jasper, E. Jay. Oxford, 2007. Ch. 12-21.
- Pelikan, Jaroslav. Whose Bible Is It?: A Short History of the Scriptures. Penguin, 2006 (NB: Tyndale students have full-text access via eBrary).
- Powell, Mark A. Chasing the Eastern Star: Adventures in Biblical Reader-response Criticism. Westminster John Knox, 2001.
- Prior, Joseph G. The Historical Critical Method in Catholic Exegesis. Editrice Pontificia Università Gregoriana, 1999.
- Prinz, Julie D. E. Endangering Hunger for God: Johann Baptist Metz and Dorothee Sölle at the Interface of Biblical Hermeneutic and Christian Spirituality. LIT, 2007.
- Ricoeur, Paul. Essays on Biblical Interpretation. Fortress, 1980.
- Robbins, Vernon K. Exploring the Texture of Texts: A Guide to Socio-rhetorical Interpretation. Continuum, 1996.
- Rollins, Wayne G. Soul and Psyche: the Bible in Psychological Perspective. Fortress, 1999.
- Rowland, Christopher, and Mark Corner. Liberating Exegesis: The Challenge of Liberation Theology to Biblical studies. Westminster John Knox, 1989.
- Ryken, Leland and Tremper Longman III, eds. The Complete Literary Guide to the Bible. Zondervan, 1993.
- Sandys-Wunsch, John. What Have They Done to the Bible?: A History of Modern Biblical Interpretation. Liturgical, 2005.
- Schroer, Silvia, and Sophia Bietenhard, eds. Feminist Interpretation of the Bible and the Hermeneutics of Liberation. Continuum, 2004.
- Schüssler Fiorenza, Elisabeth. Sharing Her Word: Feminist Biblical Interpretation in Context. Beacon, 1999.
Scripture and Hermeneutics Series, Zondervan.
- Bartholomew, C.G., S.Hahn, R.Parry, C.Seitz, and A. Wolters, eds. Canon and Biblical Interpretation. Scripture and Hermeneutics Series Vol. 7. Zondervan, 2006.
- Bartholomew, Craig G., Elaine Botha, and Robin Parry, eds. Out of Egypt: Biblical Theology and Biblical Interpretation. Scripture and Hermeneutics Series Vol. 5. Zondervan, 2004.
- Bartholomew, Craig G., and Murray Rae, eds. "Behind" the Text: History and Biblical Interpretation. Scripture and Hermeneutics Series Vol. 4. Zondervan, 2003.
- Bartholomew, C.G., J. Chaplin, R. Song, and A. Wolters, eds. A Royal Priesthood?: The Use of the Bible Ethically and Politically: A Dialogue with Oliver O`Donovan. Zondervan, 2002.
- Bartholomew, C.G., C.J.D. Greene, and K. Möller, eds. After Pentecost: Language and Biblical Interpretation. Scripture and Hermeneutics Series Vol. 2. Zondervan, 2001.
- Bartholomew, C.G., C.J.D. Greene, and K. Möller, eds. Renewing Biblical Interpretation. Scripture and Hermeneutics Series Vol. 1. Zondervan, 2000.
- Shillington, V. George. Reading the Sacred Text: An Introduction to Biblical Studies. Continuum, 2002 (also copy).
- Soulen, Richard N. Handbook of Biblical Criticism. Third edition. Westminster John Knox, 2001.
- Stiver, Dan R. Asian Biblical Hermeneutics and Postcolonialism: Contesting the Interpretations. Continuum, 1999;The Bible and the Third World: Precolonial, Colonial, and Postcolonial Encounters. 2nd edition. Cambridge, 2001 (and copy; Tyndale students have full-access to this text over eBrary).
- Thiselton, Anthony C. Hermeneutics: An Introduction. Eerdmans, 2009; Thiselton on Hermeneutics: The Collected Works and New Essays of Anthony Thiselton. Ashgate, 2006 (also copy); New Horizons in Hermeneutics: The Theory and Practice of Transforming Biblical Reading. Zondervan, 1992.
- Thomas, Robert L. Evangelical Hermeneutics: The New Versus the Old. Revised edition. Kregel, 2002.
- Thompson, John Lee. Reading the Bible with the Dead: What You Can Learn from the History of Exegesis That You Can`t Learn from Exegesis Alone. Eerdmans, 2007 (also copy).
- Vander Stichele, Caroline, and Todd C. Penner, eds. Her Master`s Tools?: Feminist and Postcolonial Engagements of Historical-Critical Discourse. Society of Biblical Literature, 2005 (and copy; also available as full-text to Tyndale students via eBrary eBooks).
- Vanhoozer, Kevin J. Is There a Meaning in this Text?: The Bible, the Reader, and the Morality of Literary Knowledge. Zondervan, 1998.
- Village, Andrew. The Bible and Lay People: An Empirical Approach to Ordinary Hermeneutics. Ashgate, 2007.
- Wald, Oletta. The New Joy of Discovery in Bible Study. Revised edition. Augsburg Fortress, 2002 (and copy).
- Webb, William J. Slaves, Women & Homosexuals: Exploring the Hermeneutics of Cultural Analysis. InterVarsity, 2001.
- Wegner, Paul D. A Student`s Guide to Textual Criticism of the Bible: Its History, Methods & Results. InterVarsity, 2006.
- Wink, Walter. The Bible in Human Transformation. Fortress, 1973.
- Wright, Christopher J. H. The Mission of God: Unlocking the Bible`s Grand Narrative. InterVarsity, 2006.
- Zuck, Roy B. Rightly Divided: Readings in Biblical Hermeneutics. Kregel, 1996; Basic Bible Interpretation: A Practical Guide to Discovering Biblical Truth. David C. Cook, 2002.
Old Testament Exegesis
- Ball, Edward, ed. In Search of True Wisdom: Essays in Old Testament Interpretation in Honour of Ronald E. Clements. Continuum, 1999.
- Barton, John. Reading the Old Testament: Method in Biblical Study. 2nd revised edition. Westminster John Knox, 1997 (also 1st edition).
- Fishbane, Michael. The Garments of Torah: Essays in Biblical Hermeneutics. Indiana University, 1992.
- Goldingay, John. Approaches to Old Testament Interpretation. Revised edition. Clements, 2002.
- Sæbø, Magne, ed. Hebrew Bible/Old Testament: The History of its Interpretation. Vol. I/1: Antiquity; Vol. I/2: The Middles Ages; Vol. II: From the Renaissance to the Enlightenment. Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht, 1996-2008.
- Stuart, Douglas K. Old Testament Exegesis: A Handbook for Students and Pastors. Third Edition. Westminster John Knox, 2001.
- Würthwein, Ernst. The Text of the Old Testament: An Introduction to the Biblia Hebraica. Tr. Erroll F. Rhodes. 2nd rev`d ed. Eerdmans, 1995.
- For further Old Testament resources (Bible translations, dictionaries, encyclopedia, commentaries, as well as OT theology and history materials), see the MTS Old Testament Reading Room.
New Testament Exegesis
- Bock, Darrell L., and Buist M. Fanning, ed. Interpreting the New Testament Text: Introduction to the Art and Science of Exegesis. Good News Publishers, 2006.
- Fee, Gordon D. New Testament Exegesis: A Handbook for Students and Pastors. Third Edition. Westminster John Knox, 2002 (also copy).
- Green, Joel B. Hearing the New Testament: Strategies for Interpretation. Eerdmans, 1995.
- Guthrie, George H., and J.S. Duvall. Biblical Greek Exegesis: A Graded Approach to Learning Intermediate and Advanced Greek. Zondervan, 1998.
- Harrington, Daniel J. Interpreting the New Testament: A Practical Guide. Liturgical Press, 1990.
- Liew, Tat-Siong Benny. What is Asian American Biblical Hermeneutics? Reading the New Testament. University of Hawaii, 2008.
- Porter, Stanley E., ed. Handbook to Exegesis of the New Testament. Brill, 1997.
- Schneiders, Sandra Marie. The Revelatory Text: Interpreting the New Testament as Sacred Scripture. 2nd ed. Liturgical, 1999.
- Scott, Ian W. A Method for New Testament Interpretation. Tyndale class handout, 2008.
- For further New Testament resources (Bible translations, dictionaries, encyclopedia, commentaries, as well as NT theology and history materials), see the MTS New Testament Reading Room.
- See bibliography and good collection of links to scholarly articles on biblical hermeneutics at BiblicalStudies.org.uk.
- Theological Journals Search (theological journals for which full text is freely available on the Internet -- links to many very good articles on Biblical interpretation and application).
- See Tyndale's eJournal Database (note: for Tyndale students and faculty only). Choose EBSCOhost database; log in; choose "EBSCOhost" and then "ATLA Religion Database with ATLASerials"; then choose "Scriptures" (at top). You will find many full-text theological journal articles available to you on issues of Biblical interpretation and application. See list of Tyndale's academic ejournals with full-text articles for download.